Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
YEAH!!

My new Sram Etap just arrived today, too bad Chinese New Year celebrations starts tomorrow and all the LBS will be on vacation. But it did arrive faster than I thought and still have not decided on the build yet. Have wheels no frame set yet. Product Electronic device Brown Technology Computer Silver Symbol Still life photography Gadget Album Text Book Publication Book cover Paper product Rectangle Label Symbol Packaging and labeling Electronic device Technology Input device Peripheral Bicycle part Red Bicycle part Carmine Black Composite material Electronic device Technology Rectangle Gadget Machine Gadget Tool Telephony Communication Device Plastic Motorcycle accessories Machine Power tool Tool Bicycle pedal Text Electronic device Logo Technology Computer Red Rectangle Plastic Box Gadget Red Rectangle Technology Plastic Composite material Red Material property Rectangle Packaging and labeling Box

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its been only 2 weeks and half was it raining in Taiwan. Its great I really like it alot and with the new RED is so much quieter. As for charging, it did not take a long time to charge and so far its still in green mode. Will try to update when I get a chance to charge it for the second time. The shifting is very fast but have to get used to the new left and right hands to shift the rear derailleur. I had problem when I went back to my Di2 the other day.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I just ordered mine after one short demo ride. I like it way better than Di2 for a number of reasons which are subjective: I like the ergonomics of the shifters better than Shimano; the shift logic took no time to get used to. Or at least it seemed easier than Di2 but, to be fair I have very little time with Shimano. However, in the short time on both systems the SRAM had less mis shifts; wireless=better sort of like 11 is better than 10:); FD/RD batteries are identical (get you home in a pinch).

edit for 10/11 speed compatibility.

·
Registered
409 Posts
My mechanic just ran into an issue with my build, but there are a few variables in play. I have a KMC chain and Rotor Q-Rings on a Ritchey steel frame with a clamp adapter. The chain keeps dropping on upshifts. He thinks it's the Q-Rings, but it might also be the chain or possibly even frame flex. Who knows?..

·
Registered
189 Posts
We decided to just use the default rings for now. My guess
is I need a shim that moves the front derailleur back and and angled slightly counter-clockwise.
Looks great man. With regards to the chain rings, I'm running Praxis. Wonder if there's any issues there?

·
Registered
409 Posts
You shouldn't encounter any issues with round chainrings.
I currently have the gap between the front derailleur plate and tallest tooth of my big ring at about 4mm which is clearly outside SRAM's recommendation of 1-2mm. Oddly, when I tried adjusting the gap down to spec, the FD would no longer successfully shift up to the big ring when the chain was also riding the largest cog. Obviously going directly from 34x28 to 50x28 would never happen in real-world shifting, but I'm still wondering what the cause is. Do I need to rotate my braze-on/clamp adaptor so the derailleur sits more fore or aft?

Shifts work perfectly at 4mm, so I guess shouldn't bother with it...

e: Apparently SRAM sells an angled shim that helps with positioning the derailleur over compact chainrings? Wish this was included in the box...

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I in the short time on both systems the SRAM had less mis shifts
If you are having missed shifts on a Di2 setup, something is wrong. I have three Ui2 bikes and have had exactly zero 'mis' shifts.

So you are saying that on your test ride, you had less than zero 'mis' shifts?

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
If you are having missed shifts on a Di2 setup, something is wrong. I have three Ui2 bikes and have had exactly zero 'mis' shifts.

So you are saying that on your test ride, you had less than zero 'mis' shifts?
Yeah sorry for he confusion...Di2 was set up fine and it's really nice. The mis shifting was more me just not being used to the tactile aspect of the buttons and all. All I know after installing etap on my bike today :D that etap is a much more intuitive and user friendly, better looking, lighter, better ergonomics, etc...than Di2 IMO.

If I put Di2 on my bike I'd be dialed in with it after the first ride. Etap I was dialed in out the door. In no way am I dissing Di2 here. Both do the same thing very well. I just like etap much better.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.