Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Converted Marathon Runner
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sram brought out their new groupo to the Philly race last weekend, of course I darted right to that tent immediately.

They had the Force there on a couple of bikes, one on the ground and one in a stand for testing and playing.

I felt the controls on the bike on the ground, feels nice. They feel flatter than the DA's that I have now, not as much of a curve going to the peak of the brake lever. Narrow, but not too much so. They felt good to me. Reach was good as well, for reference, I wear a large cycling glove. These are all preference things.

Playing with the controls in the stand I was intrigued. Not having to use 2 levers to shift was odd at first. It's hard to get yourself to "dumb down" your skills. Lever throw was quick, unless you want to go to the full "3-clicks" and get 2 gears lower, it took a little more than was comfy to me. I felt I really had to extend my fingers to get the lever there. (not bad, i can deal with it, just noting). I'd rather shift 1 gear twice, than 2 gears at once, if that makes sense.

Their claim to fame is the "other" shift lever, that they promote as a sprint shift lever. You pull it to your handlebar with your index finger, and you can shift from down in the drops, without letting go of the handlebar. Very slick, not something I would take advantage of too often, since holding the lever itself would only be done in a mass sprint, not just normal riding.

Brakes felt solid at the lever, looked solid as well. Nothing flimsy there.

The thing that got me was the cassette. They actually removed 1 tooth from the gear, which supposedly lets you shift "under any load you can put on it", and it will click away without jamming. I couldn't test this out to report on, but I wish I could have. If they solved that problem I'll be very impressed. Doesn't happen often, it's just neat to have those kinks get worked out of a system.

MSRP is 1800, so it'll probably be under that online/at your LBS. Weights are around any other group out there, I think they saved a lot of weight in the levers though. Everything else is probably close to anything else you'll find.

I asked if you can replace the levers in the event of a crash, and there is a pin that pops the whole thing apart in no time. Rep said that parts can be ordered without a problem. Nice.

Said they are being produced now, and are expected to ship in August sometime.

I think my bling bling bike will get an upgrade in the fall for sure, just to try it out. I'm not going to be a guinea pig right off the bat, but I think they have most of any issues worked out, they have been R&D'ing the system for about 2 years the rep said. Some teams at the event were using the groupo as well, I think that started early in the year though.

Just some notes to read. It was nice to finally see the thing up close, I've read way too much about it lately.

Have a nice weekend,

·
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not really...

I noticed it for sure, but didn't find it to be an issue. Since I know it isn't bent, I can deal with it. Probably means I'll be hitting them on things a hair more often, maybe when I lean the bike up against things during water fills and such, but we'll see.

·
BrooklynVelo
1,426 Posts
10kman said:
I asked if you can replace the levers in the event of a crash, and there is a pin that pops the whole thing apart in no time. Rep said that parts can be ordered without a problem. Nice.

Said they are being produced now, and are expected to ship in August sometime.
Wait, let me get this right...the new Sram levers are rebuildable? Oh well now that just makes up my mind for me. I'll have to get a Rival group when it's available this fall. Do you know if both groups will be released at the same time? Or will it be Force then Rival?

·
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From what I saw......

From what the rep showed me, yes, the lever pops right off in no time. He had a punch and pushed the pin through, and the lever slid out. He said anyone that has an account with a supplier can get parts, but again, he's a SALES rep. I'm just a relay at this point, but I'm not worried about it, I'm saving now for the group.

Not sure about both groups shipping, I was only playing/asking with the Force. They had a Rival kit in the team car in pieces, that's actually the one they were passing around to play with, the Force was on a bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.