Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Slightly Opinionated
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty much sold on the idea of upgrading my ancient 9 speed Dura Ace to SRAM in a month or so, but I'm debating on which group. Specifically, which shifters.

I'll be either going with an 8 piece Force group (and selling off the cranks since I have a nice set of compact carbon cranks already) or going with a smaller (5 or 6 pieces?) and selling off the shifters in favor of buying Red shifters.

What's the advantage of Red shifters over Force, and is it really worth $200+ difference? I know that Red has the instant release and outer ring trim functions. My old Dura Ace doesn't have any instant release or zero loss or whatever it's called, so I won't be missing much there. Can the Force derailleur be set up to not rub the rings if installed correctly, without using trim?

Convoluted post, I know, but thanks in advance.

· Registered
780 Posts
Good question

I agonized over the same thing and ended up choosing Force. The Red gruppo is just too expensive right now. And from what I've been told, the front derailleur can be setup not to rub, but it has to be very exact. That's why I'll be having my LBS do the set-up.

· Slightly Opinionated
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
weltyed said:
wait another month or so unless you like metal shifters. the new rival shifters will be almost exactly the same as the force/red, but a tad heavier.

http://www.velonews.com/article/75150
Wait...metal?

I don't see much metal in Force/Red. I did think about waiting for Rival, but if their previous "release schedule" is of any truth, it won't be until the end of the year I'll be able to actually buy it from a shop.

But if it happens to be available, I'm game for '09 Rival.

· Registered
3,477 Posts
robdamanii said:
I'm pretty much sold on the idea of upgrading my ancient 9 speed Dura Ace to SRAM in a month or so, but I'm debating on which group. Specifically, which shifters.

I'll be either going with an 8 piece Force group (and selling off the cranks since I have a nice set of compact carbon cranks already) or going with a smaller (5 or 6 pieces?) and selling off the shifters in favor of buying Red shifters.

What's the advantage of Red shifters over Force, and is it really worth $200+ difference? I know that Red has the instant release and outer ring trim functions. My old Dura Ace doesn't have any instant release or zero loss or whatever it's called, so I won't be missing much there. Can the Force derailleur be set up to not rub the rings if installed correctly, without using trim?

Convoluted post, I know, but thanks in advance.
I went with Red brifters, despite using Rival nearly everywhere else.

Why?
1) Longer brake lever
2) Adjustable reach on both brake and shifter levers
3) Zero-loss = snappier shifting with reduced lever throw

To me, those upgrades were nice enough to warrant the upgrade, after riding full Rival/Force gruppos.

As for trim, you can more or less get the drivetrain silent in that respect with diligent set-up.

· Registered
68 Posts
Got em both

I have both the Red (on my 585 Look), and Force (on the S-Works). The force has maybe 5,000 miles and Red has less than 500. Biggest advantage to having Red is weight savings and front derailer trim. But the Red group is a bit louder when shifting.

If paying the extra $$$ doesn't bother you, certainly, go with the Red group, it looks great and I've been satisfied.
However, if the wallet is not buldging with extra greenbacks waiting to be burnt, the Force group is a wonderful alternative.

By the way, after switching from shimano........ I'm never going back.

· p != b
2,303 Posts
I'd go with red shifters, rival everywhere else.

ps. look at gvh bike's kitbuilder to buy the parts - I've found their prices comparable to eBay, and you can just mix and match, rather than having to jump through the buy-resell hoops.

· your text here
13,203 Posts
i meant the alloy shift arms in the rival group will be vanishing when the 2009 model ships. some people want the shiny metal look. if so, no use in waiting for the 09 to come out.

robdamanii said:
Wait...metal?

I don't see much metal in Force/Red. I did think about waiting for Rival, but if their previous "release schedule" is of any truth, it won't be until the end of the year I'll be able to actually buy it from a shop.

But if it happens to be available, I'm game for '09 Rival.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.