Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
732 Posts
Double Tap technology - one direction to shift up and down. I wonder how that works...

· BS the DC
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thorn Bait said:
Double Tap technology - one direction to shift up and down. I wonder how that works...
Move the lever behind the brake lever a little and you upshift. Continue moving it further and it downshifts.

· Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
That's obvious, it just seems a bit counter-intuitive. Probably one of those things most people would have to see in person to understand. I know I would be one of those people that would benefit from seeing it in person.

· Registered
554 Posts
SRAM successfully has taken a huge market share in the MTB arena. A lot of mountain bikers I know prefer it hands down to Shimano XT or XTR stuff. I'd give it a chance just on the reputation of the MTB equipment. Although I have to admit, something about the shifters just doesn't look as nice as Campy. Silly to base an opinon solely on looks though.

· Registered
246 Posts
bsdc said:
SRAM Force is out. Who's going to be the first to buy it and take it for a ride?

http://www.willyoumaketheleap.com/
Who is selling it? According to SRAM in Chicago, they aren't going to release the group until August. The retail price is approximately $1200. I checked my LBS a couple days ago. I am seriously considering giving it a try.

· Registered
602 Posts
ravenmore said:
SRAM successfully has taken a huge market share in the MTB arena. A lot of mountain bikers I know prefer it hands down to Shimano XT or XTR stuff. I'd give it a chance just on the reputation of the MTB equipment. Although I have to admit, something about the shifters just doesn't look as nice as Campy. Silly to base an opinon solely on looks though.
I recently replaced all the Shimano on my MTB with SRAM and really like it.

· Registered
1,872 Posts
Is it just me, or does it seem overpriced? I mean, the Force stuff looks amazing.. but $1800 for a PARTIAL group? The Rival group looks like crap, although I'm sure it performs fine. Even so, it doesn't LOOK like $1200-level parts.

I don't know what retail is, but you can get Ultegra or Centaur (like Rival--no carbon) partial groups for $600-800.... even FULL groups (which SRAM doesn't make) are considerably less than $1200. Heck, GVH sells full Ultegra or Centaur BUILD KITS for less than $1200. SRAM doesn't even include hubs at that price.

· your text here
13,203 Posts
from what i've read, the double tab takes a little getting used to. plus, there is no large chainring trim. zinn mentioned on his regular ride he taps the paddle to feel if he's in the large or small. with double tap you cant, and it would shift on him.

my biggest complaint (without riding the group) is the fact you cant interchange with their mountain group. had they been able to do that, then i would be considering it. but for now, thats a lot of coin to drop just to try. they say force is the top line and rival is mid-range. will there be a lower version for those of us with thinner wallets?

http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/9723.0.html

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2006/features/sram_road_launch

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.