Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
:) My first post. I am a mtbr for the last few years and want to cross train for road. I have built all my mtn bikes and think I am OK at it. I got all the parts to my new road bike and go to build it until I get to the point of the SRAM Force shifters/brake controllers. I look at those things and feel like and idiot :mad2: . I did searches on how to install and went to park tools and SRAM and can not find the details on how to install them and how they should shift. I look at the manual, but that is not all that much of a help. I have the bike all done except for how to hook up the cables for the shifters and brakes and how to do the shifting. It can move the little double tap levers one way and the cable will move, but I can not move the lever? I did not to force anything at all and do not want to break my bran new parts so I am looking for some help on this. I also assume the brake cable should slide into the main housing part uder the rubber covering and then just go to the brakes. That part I think I get pretty straight foward, but the shifters are just getting me. I miss the ease of my grip shift on my mtn bike. I do not want my LBS to work on my bikes as I like doing it myself, up to this point, but I might go there and take some pics of some bikes to help me out on this.

Thanks for all the help,
Troy (future roadie-maybe)

· Registered
55 Posts
Pull the shifter cables to get some tension on them, then with the tension click once to release all the slack. Then mount to the derailleur. Make sure you put the ferrules on the housing before you stick it in the shifter housing hood. SRAM doesn't mention that, but you really need to have the end ferrules on there to make the housing stiff enough to work.

SRAM levers work off of the cable tension to shift the other direction. Whereas Shimano have spring loaded gears.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.