Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
I think what it means is you can pop it off if you need to fix something in the drivetrain then you can still use it for that chain.

The non-reusable thing may mean... it dies with the chain, i.e... not for reuse with new chains.

·
Growing Older, Not Up
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ukiahb said:
I broke a chain once and had a nasty crash, so not worth the chance IMHO...a chain is one of those parts to not take chances with, like a fork
While I appreciate the worry, I would like to switch between 50/16 and 42/16 and don't want to buy a new chain everytime I swap out.

·
Potatoes
1,404 Posts
The fact of the matter is, every time you break a chain - be it with or without a quick-link - you create a potential weak point. What Sram states would most likely be to cover themselves should an idiot buy their product - break the chain then not install the quick-link correctly - and then think that after they've introduced their wedding vegetables to their top tube that they have the right for reparations.

I've known many people to re-use the quick-links time and time again without issue. I know many road and MTB riders who love to take their chains off and clean them off the bike.

However, I'm a little confused by what you want to do:confused:
If you want to change your gearing from 42/16 to 50/16 you will have to ADD links. Which means you'll need a new connector pin, extra chain links and the quick link. That's fine as a 'once in a blue moon' type of thing.
But by the sounds of it you want to continously change the gearing??
For that I would buy 2 chains... Chain A for 42/16 and Chain B for 50/16. That way once you have each chain at the optimal length for a given ratio on your bike, you can make use of the quick-link.

·
Growing Older, Not Up
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
majura said:
However, I'm a little confused by what you want to do:confused:
If you want to change your gearing from 42/16 to 50/16 you will have to ADD links. Which means you'll need a new connector pin, extra chain links and the quick link. That's fine as a 'once in a blue moon' type of thing.
But by the sounds of it you want to continously change the gearing??
For that I would buy 2 chains... Chain A for 42/16 and Chain B for 50/16. That way once you have each chain at the optimal length for a given ratio on your bike, you can make use of the quick-link.
That is exactly what I want to do, run two different chains and swap them when I change gears. 50/16 for the track, 42/16 for longer road rides.

·
Potatoes
1,404 Posts
crumjack said:
That is exactly what I want to do, run two different chains and swap them when I change gears. 50/16 for the track, 42/16 for longer road rides.
That set up should work just fine then. Just keep an eye on the quick-links for wear. If you suspect anything: replace them (you should be able to get spares). :thumbsup:

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
I've seen one link come undone, not broken, but it was an SRAM link being used on a campy chain. My fillmore came with an SRAM chain and quick link. No problems in probably 3k miles. I've seen a lot of broken chains with links installed when mountain biking but they never seem to break at the link.

·
The web is a MUT
1,380 Posts
VaughnA said:
....My fillmore came with an SRAM chain and quick link....
Really? I don't think mine did, I'll have to double-check it when I get home. Mine is an early production 1st year model, LBS I was wrenching at part time ordered in the wrong size, which was my size, so I got to EP it instead of them having to send it back. (I think I got enough commas in that sentence. :rolleyes: )

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
treebound said:
Really? I don't think mine did, I'll have to double-check it when I get home. Mine is an early production 1st year model, LBS I was wrenching at part time ordered in the wrong size, which was my size, so I got to EP it instead of them having to send it back. (I think I got enough commas in that sentence. :rolleyes: )
It has one on it now and I don't remember changing the chain but I may have, I'm getting old. It was a very late 06 fillmore. The last of the nice ones..

My LBS ordered mine in the wrong size. Then got one damaged in my size, after 3 tries they got me a good one. Now it is my primary road bike, I ride it probably 90% of the time on the road. My Tete de Course is sitting lonely at home.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
The connecting link that comes with the KMC chains is reuseable. You just have to be careful not to deform the "u" shaped clip that snaps over the pins and holds the load bearing outer plate in place. We have a lot of BMX'r customers who are very hard on chains and, while I've seen more than a few broken chains, I've yet to see one at the connecting link.

Solution. Buy two KMC chains and alternate. Simply adding links to lengthen a chain is a recipe for disaster.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.