Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago my Force left shifter broke. This morning the right shifter broke - both involved non-serviceable internal bits (not the paddle) and were shears in the metal. I've used them for 4 seasons, none huge mileage years. Curious what sort of service life others are getting and what's reasonable. I like SRAM functionality, but I still have some old 9 speed Shimano parts lying around so makes me wonder about long-term durability comparisons.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,564 Posts
There were some problems w/ these, I think mostly Rival. I know that there is only a 2 year warranty on Force (right?) but I'd have a shop attempt to warranty them, SRAM is definitely known for their excellent customer service.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There were some problems w/ these, I think mostly Rival. I know that there is only a 2 year warranty on Force (right?) but I'd have a shop attempt to warranty them, SRAM is definitely known for their excellent customer service.
just heard back from SRAM - they are going to replace them despite being out of warranty. Yes, excellent customer service.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
4 years of light service is not reasonable service life. Nice that they warrantied them but what a pain in the azz to have to deal with down time. Cassettes and chains are the only SRAM components that I really consider using...except that I live with the stock SRAM components on my fat bike.

·
Registered
259 Posts
This is what keeps me from using Sram. I like the functionality of the groups, but compared to Shimano or Campagnolo, Sram just looks and feels cheap.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
A few weeks ago my Force left shifter broke. This morning the right shifter broke - both involved non-serviceable internal bits (not the paddle) and were shears in the metal. I've used them for 4 seasons, none huge mileage years. Curious what sort of service life others are getting and what's reasonable. I like SRAM functionality, but I still have some old 9 speed Shimano parts lying around so makes me wonder about long-term durability comparisons.
My Rival right shifter failed after 3500 miles. I didn't bother trying to warranty although I probably should have. I replaced it with Veloce shifters. Much happier with that setup

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
For what it's worth my last two Shimano right shifters (6700 and 7900) died after less then 4 years. I'm good for 6-7k miles a year and due to terrain and riding habits shift a ton though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts