Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question. Will a SRAM Red cassette work with a Shimano drive train? Long story short, I have Dura Ace 7800 shifters and derailleurs along with Zipp VumaQuad cranks and a SRAM 1090R chain. I need a new cassette and have a chance to get a SRAM Red cassette for less than Dura Ace. It seems like a good way to go given the better gearing (11-26 instead of 11-23, which I think would benefit me) and it's about 15 grams lighter (not a big deal, but definitely not a bad thing).

Of course before I grab this cassette, I wanted to check with all the experts out there and make sure it would be compatibile with my current set-up. Can anyone confirm that it will work (or tell me it won't)?

Thanks in advance.

·
Darling of The Lounge
5,337 Posts
It shouldn't be an issue. I have a SRAM Red cassette (13-26) myself on an American Classic Magnesium wheel that I swap between my SRAM Force and Shimano Dura Ace equipped bikes all the time.

As for cranks, my Madone is running a Stronglight Pulsion carbon crank and my Token has a Token carbon crank. Both are compact 50/34's. Your Zipp crank should work just fine.

Be aware that the hollow SRAM cassette acts like a megaphone amplifying drivetrain noise. It just takes some getting use to.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Alternative choice

BrianT said:
I need a new cassette and have a chance to get a SRAM Red cassette for less than Dura Ace.
Or you could be realistic and get an Ultegra or 105 cassette. Unless you're competing at the highest levels and doing a LOT of climbing, DA (and Record) cassettes are a complete waste of money. They don't shift and better than the lower line cassettes, and the Ti cogs wear much quicker than steel. Just saying.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
What wheels are you running? Like C-40 mentioned, a few brands went with Shimano's short-lived S10 standard (even Shimano ditched it this year for their wheels). Ritchey, Fulcrum, Campy and 2008 Shimano factory wheels would have compatibility problems.

I have an unused 11-26 SRAM Red cassette, if you're interested. I have Fulcrum wheels and it isn't compatible. So far, I've been to lazy to ebay it.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Or you could be realistic and get an Ultegra or 105 cassette. Unless you're competing at the highest levels and doing a LOT of climbing, DA (and Record) cassettes are a complete waste of money. They don't shift and better than the lower line cassettes, and the Ti cogs wear much quicker than steel. Just saying.
That is the one thing going for SRAM Red--similar durability to Ultegra/105/Chorus/etc.... but lightweight like Dura Ace & Record. Best of both worlds... (not counting price)

·
Registered
6 Posts
MarvinK said:
...a few brands went with Shimano's short-lived S10 standard (even Shimano ditched it this year for their wheels). Ritchey, Fulcrum, Campy and 2008 Shimano factory wheels would have compatibility problems.
Dammit, I've just bought a SRAM cassette and the splines on my Ritchey wheels are too tall for it. It sounds like I have got the problem MarvinK describes.

Can anyone tell me what I can do to remedy this? Ideally I'd like to be able to use SRAM and Shimano 10-speed cassettes on a single set of wheels.

My first thought is to try and replace the Ritchey freehub with an intercompatible one, but I can't find any documentation explaining how to do this...

This is my first forray into customisation of my bike, so I'd be very grateful for any pointers.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Your cheapest and easiest solution is to use Shimano cassettes with your SRAM drivetrains. They work great together.... And 2009 DA/2010 Ult cassettes come in wider ranges than old Shimano.

You probably got the Red to save weight, but you will offset some of that if ritchey has a compatible freehub (since it is likely steel instead of aluminum..which the extra splines were intended to work better with). I'd sell the Red cassette and buy 2 sizes of Ultegra with the $$.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
There is no SRAM RED 13-26....

Retro Grouch said:
It shouldn't be an issue. I have a SRAM Red cassette (13-26) myself on an American Classic Magnesium wheel that I swap between my SRAM Force and Shimano Dura Ace equipped bikes all the time.

As for cranks, my Madone is running a Stronglight Pulsion carbon crank and my Token has a Token carbon crank. Both are compact 50/34's. Your Zipp crank should work just fine.

Be aware that the hollow SRAM cassette acts like a megaphone amplifying drivetrain noise. It just takes some getting use to.
SRAM RED 13-26 doesn't exist...sorry.

·
Registered
6 Posts
MarvinK said:
Your cheapest and easiest solution is to use Shimano cassettes with your SRAM drivetrains. They work great together.... And 2009 DA/2010 Ult cassettes come in wider ranges than old Shimano.

You probably got the Red to save weight, but you will offset some of that if ritchey has a compatible freehub (since it is likely steel instead of aluminum..which the extra splines were intended to work better with). I'd sell the Red cassette and buy 2 sizes of Ultegra with the $$.
Thanks for the response, Marvin.

I have the OG-1070. Red is a bit too "cool" and expensive for me, but my choice was informed by the extra range of the 11-28 offering, which I can't get from Shimano.

Anyway, once I had established that there is a second (Swiss) Ritchey web-site, it seems they offer a Shimano9/SRAM-compatible freehub.

Presumably I would need a spacer to mount a 10-speed cassette on this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I ride a cannondale system 6 07. The bike is very stiff and snapp. My longest ride has been 70 miles. I have not ridden a all carbon bike. I was looking into that as well. There are so many to pick from when it comes to Carbon bikes. Anyway, The bike with my carbon paddles and cages is 17 lbs. I want to replace my dureAce drive train with something lighter. The bike came with all Dure Ace. Does anyone have suggestion. I want to get the bike down to 16 lbs. I know can get lighter wheels. I wanted to start with the Drive train.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.