Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Matnlely Dregaend
Joined
·
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep reading how nifty this one piece 8 gear+2 cassette is, how there is no play when it's mounted on the hub, but looking at the darn thing, it only has splines on the end. Don't those splines now take force ALL the time and won't they dig into the hub much faster? It would seem like this would chew up the splines at the end of the hub pretty quickly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
I just saw one a few days ago. I'm curious why they don't make all 10 sprockets one piece but have the smallest two as separate sprockets. Does anyone know the reason for the current design?

kdub said:
that's exactly what I reckon too since it doesn't have the whole width of the spline to share the load. I just got the Red cassette myself. I'll see how it goes.
 

·
Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,573 Posts
Because they can, and because people will flock to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
863 Posts
samsation7 said:
I just saw one a few days ago. I'm curious why they don't make all 10 sprockets one piece but have the smallest two as separate sprockets. Does anyone know the reason for the current design?
More than likely it's because the weight savings is negligible for the smaller cogs compared to the larger ones. Also, this gives them room for improvement for the next generation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
392 Posts
DrSmile said:
I keep reading how nifty this one piece 8 gear+2 cassette is, how there is no play when it's mounted on the hub, but looking at the darn thing, it only has splines on the end. Don't those splines now take force ALL the time and won't they dig into the hub much faster? It would seem like this would chew up the splines at the end of the hub pretty quickly.
The spline contact area is actually nearer the wheel and is about 2x wider than a normal spline contact area of a single gear on a regular cassette. If anything this would cause less chewing up of the splines since the force is distributed over a larger area.
 

·
Matnlely Dregaend
Joined
·
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
s2ktaxi said:
The spline contact area is actually nearer the wheel and is about 2x wider than a normal spline contact area of a single gear on a regular cassette. If anything this would cause less chewing up of the splines since the force is distributed over a larger area.
How do you figure? If you have ten gears, even if you only use 5-6 of them, and the SRAM cassette is 2x wider splined, it would still chew up the hub 3x as fast, assuming twice the width means half the damage, which I would hardly be convinced of. I would think that the cassette would have a tendency to torque lever when on the outside gears, causing more damage because the splines are at the base of the cassette.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
392 Posts
DrSmile said:
How do you figure? If you have ten gears, even if you only use 5-6 of them, and the SRAM cassette is 2x wider splined, it would still chew up the hub 3x as fast, assuming twice the width means half the damage, which I would hardly be convinced of. I would think that the cassette would have a tendency to torque lever when on the outside gears, causing more damage because the splines are at the base of the cassette.
On the SRAM dome, irrespective of which of the 8 lower gears you are in, you are putting pressure on the same double width spline contact area. I'm making an assumption, and could be wrong, that with a double width contact area, there may not be enough pressure to deform the splines. I'll take mine apart in another 1000 miles (will have 2k miles by then) and see how it looks compared to my DA cassette.
 

·
waterproof*
Joined
·
41,745 Posts
re: spline chewing, the first time I has to use 2 chain whips to get a "dug in" cog off a freehub body, I started wondering - why don't they just manufacture the cogs so that the spline contact area is also the spacer? Bang, big increase in contact area, no more annoying spacers to worry about messing up or losing.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top