Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
BLACKBEARD RIDING CLUB
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this question or topic has been discussed before, but I could not find the answer I was looking for.
I have a Ultegra 6650-SL compact crank with 34/50. I would like to upgrade due to the fact that I already need a new big ring, and I like the standard size crank a tad better. So here is what I’m thinking?

Sram Red chainrings in a 36/52 on my Ultegra 6650-SL crank? I already ordered them online so they should be here any day now.
My question is will they work? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
253 Posts
I don't see why not. Funny, I've been thinking of going the other way. Shimano rings on Red cranks. I find that Sram Red chain rings wear quicker than when I rode Shimano.

·
BLACKBEARD RIDING CLUB
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't seem to find any Shimano 36T and 56T rings. And I'm not gonna go with FSA rings, so Red doesn't seem that bad of a deal for what I want. Plus Shimano rings are a bit pricier.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yes Shimano are a bit more $, Sram Red has been good to me, the chainrings do seem to wear faster then I remember with my Shimano. However I have rode 9 speed for years ....maybe 10 speed do wear quicker...kinda makes sense as the chains wear faster as well. just my opinion

·
BLACKBEARD RIDING CLUB
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cantride55 said:
Shimano shows 6700 comes 53-39 or 52-39 fwiw
Thats in a 130mm right? So then the 53-39 or 52-39 won't work.
The Ultegra compact crank is a 110mm, and the Red 52-36 comes in a 110mm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts