Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I want to buy SRAM Red cranks of 110BCD and as I am googling through the images I am a bit confused: is there two version of the crank?

Consider these two images:

Bicycle part Bicycle drivetrain part Crankset Gear Bicycle accessory
Mode of transport Bicycle part Spoke Bicycle drivetrain part Crankset

Maybe it is not that obvious on first sight, but on the first image, the crank is angular and the second one is more flat and round (which I consider much nicer).

You can see it also on the newer Red cranks:

Bicycle part Bicycle drivetrain part Gear Crankset Circle
Circle Machine Gear Motorcycle accessories Bicycle drivetrain part

Both of them should be the same, but the second one is so much nicer.

So what is the difference?

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
I own the 2nd one. It's slightly lighter.
The 1st version is 10sp, if I recall correctly.
It looks nicer to me. lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, I was answered by SRAM customer support: the first one is GXP and the other one is BB30.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Also, the first set says Red 22, so they are also 11 speed. Looking at SRAM's description, here's what I found from their site:

Already a legend in its time, the SRAM RED crankset is now available with refreshed graphics to complement our new SRAM RED eTap componentry.
So it looks like it is just an aesthetic thing. But there was an actual SRAM RED crankset that is different back in the 10 speed era:

I think this one was not as stiff as the revised version.

Unless you're saying both silver cranks are different from eachother and both black ones are different. In which case, yes, different crank spiders due to BB30 vs GXP.

·
Registered
336 Posts
As said earlier, Red 22 got a "color change" last year to match e-tap. All the aftermarket BB30 ones I have seen have the spindle on the NDS crank. These are also so-called IA models. I also have an OEM 2012 Force and on that the spindle is on the DS crank. Don't know about GXP cranks.

scott s.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.