Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had SRAM RED ETAP installed. I cannot believe how amazing this system is. If you are considering it and do not mind the cost pull the trigger.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,933 Posts
Waiting for Hydro...

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I really don't get why eliminating a few grams worth of wires wires is a such a big deal to some.
I suppose if you take apart and rebuild your bike after every ride it would be nice but otherwise who cares? Wires, no wires, not really something I'd care about. Not that no wires is bad but I don't really see how it's better than sliced bread.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I really don't get why eliminating a few grams worth of wires wires is a such a big deal to some.
I suppose if you take apart and rebuild your bike after every ride it would be nice but otherwise who cares? Wires, no wires, not really something I'd care about. Not that no wires is bad but I don't really see how it's better than sliced bread.
Cool story bro

·
Registered
205 Posts
Do you use a wired or wireless bike computer?

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,946 Posts
Try retrofitting a bike designed to be mechanical to wired Di2. The task is either impossible with many recent framesets....or the result is a mess of ugly zipties at best.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,933 Posts
Since there have been several..."people"... parroting this puerile phrase recently, I was wondering where you heard it from? It strikes me as something corporate came up with, I'm just curious if I'm right on that.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Don't those wires just run from the blip or TT controls to the main shifters? Don't need wires from the handlebars to the derailleurs either way.
wires are wires... greg seems to think eTap is "totally wireless"... just pointing out the realities for those that don't know. Friend of mine is getting eTap for his venge vias.. I can't certainly see the advantage for that bike. I'll try it out then, but I like my Di2 and likely would not switch since I am heavily invested with 3 bikes running DA and 1 bike running Ultegra .. all electronic.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Try retrofitting a bike designed to be mechanical to wired Di2. The task is either impossible with many recent framesets....or the result is a mess of ugly zipties at best.
The Etap seems like a great option for my Seven frame. Definitely considering for next group. Putting Di2 on this frame would be messy. Great way to get electronic shiftig on an existing frame.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Yeah. I always thought Di2; BFD, borrrring. Wireless electronic at least is starting to catch up with current technology. We've been using wireless phones, cyclometers, bluetooth headsets, wifi, etc., for a long time now.

·
Crank Addict
1,943 Posts
For me, the coolest part about tap isn't the fact that its wireless, but rather the many in which in the levers control shifting... right side down the cassettes, left side up the cassette, both shift the front ring.

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
Greg,
Keep us informed as time goes on. It's an interesting concept and, if it has had good R&D, it will likely be good news for retrofits and for frame builders.

Battery life and dependability will be among the questions that early adopters like you can answer.

Try to ignore Luddite congregation rants (RBR is their house of worship).
My buddy has DI2. It's very good as well. I just preferred the totally wireless system.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Okay, so I say wireless, then you think you got me in a contradiction, then I explain where I said I don't see how wireless is better than sliced bread and I'm not claiming my wireless computer is better than sliced bread or great compared to wired.....blah blah. Is that how this works?

Like I said, I don't see what the big deal is. Using something else wireless, where I also don't see what the big deal is, doesn't really have anything to do with the price of tea.

·
Registered
409 Posts
eTap has simply been a joy to use. Everything about it has been well thought out. The best thing about it is the shift paddle feels mechanical.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts