Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Looking for my Amish Love
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the SRAM red, it seems the front d has a "leverage tab" like shimano front d's. The picture below is just a shimano front d. Does the SRAM Red front D have this tab & does the cable go over it? Or is it not a leverage tab & the cable goes behind it? Also, the front trim functon does not seem to be doing much on my bike & the shift from big ring to little ring is quite loud, maybe too much cable tension? The unfortunate thing is that Cannondale bikes do not have barrell adjusters so getting the cable tension just right is a process (yeah I know they make inline adjusters but they look crap).

So those who set up SRAM Red front d's, how is the cable routed?
thanks

·
In need of sock puppet
9,451 Posts
Last night, I set-up a Rival equipped bike for a test review here, and spent a fair amount of time tuning the front derailleur. The SRAM Rival's (Red may be different) front derailleur leverage tab is cast into the body; the cable travels outside the tab, then is clamped by the fixing bolt and washer.

To minimize chain rub you'll need to carefully tweak the front derailleur's position via cable tension. The cage worked well for me parallel to the large chainring but without cable tension adjusters, there's no way I could've dialed out chain rub, even for the non-crossover gearing. Double tap doesn't trim the front derailleur, so you'll need to adjust its position with the cable. And the cable requires a lot more tension than any I've ever set-up.

A cable tensioner makes the initial set-up a lot closer to final, but to finally dial-in the position, barrel or in-line cable adjusters will make all the diff.

·
Looking for my Amish Love
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Red shifters allow Big chainring trim, that is the new fucntion on Red shifters. I do not get any rubbing on the Big Ring, & I only get some rubbing in 39/12 which is cross chaining anyways. I just wasn't sure about the tab/cable relationship cause with shimano you pass the cable on the outside.

I agree about the barrel adjusters for tweaking final settings, but for some stupid reason Cannondale does not use barrel adjusters on their frames. Inline adjuster will work but looks butt nasty.

Does the shift from Big to little ring seem loud? Maybe I'm not used to SRAM coming from Campy.

thanks for all the replies

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.