Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Wait until the new Super Record is available.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
TAbiker said:
Hey guys. Im in the process of building a custom steel and dont know which groupo to purchase with it. Its a simple question:

Record or Red?
Depends on the Ergonomics and how you like SRAM DT shifting. If you have any doubts wiith DT, then Campy Record.

Really, try them both. SRAM DT is kinda weird IMO and I did NOT like the shifting style. Look, well it's looks nice excpet for the cranks :eek:.

RED is also slighty lighter if that matters. Again, it's ALL about the shifting.

I am a huge fan of SRAM on the dirt, but not too much so far for the road stuff.

So in the end, Campy Record.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have ridden both and have Record on my personal rig. Campy is a lot nicer, more refined. The Red shifting is a little funky (action) and as somebody else mentioned the drivetrain is very noisy. The Red brakes are very heavy feeling (like the return spring rate is too heavy). SRAM's hoods are comfortable and I do run their stuff on my mtb, but they have a little ways to go on the road. Super Record 11 really has me drooling... Campy has outdone themselves and made Dura Ace 7900 irrelevant before it is even released.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,321 Posts
You're going after 2 top-end gruppos.

I'm a Campy-phile. I love the shifter action (05 alloy Centaurs), the ergonomics, the look (back then you could still get alloy brifters), and 'sides it's EyeTalian so it is classy.

You go with what you like the feel of.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
Campy is proven -- the result of decades of refinement.

SRAM slapped together a group with a few gimmicks, paid some pros to ride it and picked a price-point that would suggest equivalency to Record and DA. You can bet they made an offer to OEMs that they couldn't refuse in order to get their components on the showroom floors and create the perception of mainstream acceptance.

Will SRAM road groups ever get over their growing pains? We can only guess. Will you get 1/10th the durability out of Red that you can expect out of Record? We can only guess.

Yeah its lighter. People tend to put a dissproprtionate value on things they can directly measure. SRAMs got their number.

DT -- innovation? Or the leftovers?

·
Registered
368 Posts
you its funny but all this talk about Red being noisy and loud cracks me up, yes there is a little driverterain noise but not more than campy. I have Red and to be honest I hear the wind more than gear noise, guess if you go slow you dont get that wind going loud enough

get Red!

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.