Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an issue with operation or adjustment if the rear deraillleur of my SRAM Red group.

The mechanism shifts from 11-12 OK but when trying shifting further down the rear derailleur initially moves to the selected cog but fails to latch and returns to its previous position as the paddle/lever is released. I have gone through the process of tuning the derailleur as per the Manufacturers instruction but it doesnt help.

What am I missing???:mad2:

·
Registered
520 Posts
I second the possible bent hanger! Take it to a shop they will have an alignment tool to check it out and set things strait.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
i'd undo the cable anchor bolt and hold the cable in my fingers, lightly putting tension on it, and shift thru all the clicks in the shifter. if that feels normal and the shifter holds all the clicks w/o slipping back, then i'd look at the derailleur. pedal the crank by hand (w/ the bike in a workstand) and gently push the derailleur in so the chain shifts thru the cogs, beking carefull when you get to the last one in case the hanger is bent or the limit screw might be out of adjustment...you don't want to shift into the spokes. if that works fine, check your cable routing, from one end to the other. you know the cable has to go around the 'fin' type thing after coming out of the barrel adjuster, then over the front of the anchor bolt, right? make sure that's right, then see what happens. when you anchor the cable, make sure the shifter is shifted all the way down, too. all of this probably sounds stupid, but brand new bits can make you a bit excited and you might have made a mistake.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts