Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the Sram Red Yaw FD come with an inline barrel adjuster?

If not, which do you guys recommend?

Has anyone had any experience adding this to a full Rival drive train with success?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yes, it comes with an in-line barrel adjuster. It's only to +/- tension. There's a video on Sram's website detailing how to setup the FD & how to adjust the cable tension. There are several posts by people using the new Red FD with other Sram shifters & cranks.

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
Inline adjuster, yes. Quality of said adjuster....not so good. I prefer something a little stiffer that holds its tension better.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Inline adjuster, yes. Quality of said adjuster....not so good. I prefer something a little stiffer that holds its tension better.
Agree that old SRAM Red in-line adjusters were poor and had insufficient friction to maintain adjustment (in the background of the photo). The adjuster I got with the new Red is has clicks and works great by comparison (left one in hand). The Jagwire item (right one in hand) works well too, but is a bit bulky by comparison:

View attachment 276176

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
Agree that old SRAM Red in-line adjusters were poor and had insufficient friction to maintain adjustment (in the background of the photo). The adjuster I got with the new Red is has clicks and works great by comparison (left one in hand). The Jagwire item (right one in hand) works well too, but is a bit bulky by comparison:

View attachment 276176
I had bad luck with the new one (in your hand on the left.) Then again, I didn't feel very much of a solid "click" when turning it, so maybe it was a bad adjuster.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was going to buy a Jagwire inline adjuster like the one in the background....but I guess I will try the one that comes with the FD. How do you know which way to install the barrel adjuster so you know which way to turn it?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
...I guess I will try the one that comes with the FD. How do you know which way to install the barrel adjuster so you know which way to turn it?
It has a fat end and a skinny end. In my pic, the fat end is at the bottom and the skinny end is at the top. The skinny end freely rotates. The fat end grips the housing that's inserted. The barrel unscrews from the fat end like a nut on a bolt and increasing cable tension.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It has a fat end and a skinny end. In my pic, the fat end is at the bottom and the skinny end is at the top. The skinny end freely rotates. The fat end grips the housing that's inserted. The barrel unscrews from the fat end like a nut on a bolt and increasing cable tension.
So I got my red fd today, have to go the the lbs for a new derailleur cable. I see how the barrel screws away from the fat end like you said. As I unscrewed it a silver line appeared.

1) When I install the cable and housing, does the cable and housing go into the fat end first?

2) Do you need ferrells on each end of the barrel adjuster? Because I can get any to fit, and I had some shifter cable housing and it fit snug.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
1) When I install the cable and housing, does the cable and housing go into the fat end first?

2) Do you need ferrells on each end of the barrel adjuster? Because I can get any to fit, and I had some shifter cable housing and it fit snug.
1) You can orient the adjuster either way. The only thing that changes is the direction you turn the barrel to increase/decrease tension.

2) No ferules are used. The housings go directly into the adjuster.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.