Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having problems with my Rival RR derailleur skipping gears when downshifting and not being able to shift through all 10 speeds (only 7 were available). In troubleshooting the issue I lifted up the hood cover from the RR edge (near the bar) and removed 3 screws in order to pull off an inspection cover on the inside of the shifter.

I found that the barrel-shaped index mechanism that rotates when the shift lever is pulled has material failure of several of the cogs that hold the cable in tension in the lower gears.

I just wanted to post my experience and a few photos (of the mechanism inside the rear shifter) here so that any others who have a similar problem will know one thing to check. I found SRAM's troubleshooting literature inadequate, basically nonexistant.

I hope this material defect / failure isn't due to poor quality control but I suspect this particular part was not up to SRAM's QC standards.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Wow, sucks. I was having similar symptoms to what you were describing in some of my larger rear cogs (I couldn't downshift into certain gears, but I could downshift past them and then upshift into them).

I ended up having to replace the shifter (under warranty) and that fixed it...I never took off the cover to see if there was any actual damage to the shift mechanism though.

Asad

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GirchyGirchy said:
Have either of you contacted SRAM?
No, I'm working through the dealer that sold me my bike with the Rival group new. I hear that SRAM does not work directly with customers on warranty issues. However, I think SRAM would be interested in seeing the parts that are on my bike because it's a clear material failure of internal components in the rather expensive shifter.

I think they'd want to get a handle on it if there was something going on with these parts that will result in a raft of $200 shifters needing to be replaced under warranty due to the failure of a $5 cast aluminum part.

Hopefully someone from SRAM will see the photos I posted up so they can look into it. I expect this part is supplied to them by a 3rd party.

I sent my dealer an email with photos yesterday. I haven't heard a response yet but I expect one shortly.

·
Registered
851 Posts
billips1002 said:
Which Neuvation model do you have? Do you like it?

Those new FC500's look pretty sweet!
I have an F100, and I think it's a great bike. I don't have that much to compare it to, though, other than bikes I took on test rides. It's pretty close in handling feel to the Cannondale CAAD9 I tried, though it has a stiffer ride (probably from the straight seatstays rather than the hourglass-shaped ones Cannondale uses). Mine, in a size 54, was just under 17 lbs as-received (no pedals, cages, etc).

The FC500 <i>does</i> look sweet though...

Asad

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've had a few friends have this happen to their SRAM shifters - 2009 Rival, in particular. I believe SRAM is aware of it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
good thread... I've been having the same problem. thanks.

btw- how long is the SRAM warranty?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RUV said:
good thread... I've been having the same problem. thanks.

btw- how long is the SRAM warranty?
I believe it's officially 2 years but you'd have to check into it with your retailer.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I had issues with my force front DR lever and it was replaced no questions asked
It just wasnt grabbing when changing to the big ring
So i feel it may have been similar to the issue with this lever

will never know but it was replaced and the new one is all good

twiggy

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just had the same failure happen on my Sram RR shifter last night while I was doing a little maintenance on my CX bike -- Rival 2009. Very dissappointing. I've had RED on my road bike for 2+ years. Lots of use, but zero problems. I'm hoping this is just an isolated thing with this batch of Rival shifters.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I developed the same issue with my 2009 rival shifters yesterday. the issue presented itself as being unable to 'downshift' (easier gear for those searching) I originally thought that the cable housing was sticky, but upon further inspection of the shifter, its cable and housing noticed that it was the gears had stripped thus preventing any downshift from happening unless all tension was removed from the cable.

See attached pictures:
Bike is 2010 Raleigh rx 1.0
Shifters i assume are 2009 Sram Rivals

questions post away!

joe
pictures below
**edit for pictures**

---------------------------------edit October 26 2010
Shifter was replaced under warranty
Shifter appears to be a 2010 as it says SRAM down the body
Shifter works great and is very smooth
-----------------------------------end of October 26 2010

·
Registered
689 Posts
seems like that master cog would be pretty easy to replace if you could get parts...can you get parts from a dealer? last I checked the answer was "no," but wasn't sure if this had changed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow!

It's alarming how many people are having this exact failure.

I should get my replacement shifter in a few days. I hope it won't suffer the same fate. Sram is apparently replacing a large number of $200 shifters due to the failure of a seemingly inexpensive part.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have had my shifter replaced for the same issue and
i had no problems from sram when coming to replace it

the problem developed quite quickly but the new lever is much better and nore responsive

twiggy

·
Registered
647 Posts
any of you guys "dry shifting" (basically, jacking with the Double Tap lever w/o pedaling the bike)?

Small parts are available, and the shifter are quite simple to rebuild.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
twiggy73 said:
I have had my shifter replaced for the same issue and
i had no problems from sram when coming to replace it

the problem developed quite quickly but the new lever is much better and nore responsive

twiggy
That's good news. I haven't got my new shifter yet but I hope it will feel better than the first one. I never thought the first one was right even before it failed but I thought my expectations were just too high coming from mountain bike shifters.

I'm anxious to feel the new shift quality.

·
Registered
380 Posts
billips1002 said:
That's good news. I haven't got my new shifter yet but I hope it will feel better than the first one. I never thought the first one was right even before it failed but I thought my expectations were just too high coming from mountain bike shifters.

I'm anxious to feel the new shift quality.
I thought exactly the same but the new shifter is completely different sharp and fast. I can really feel the zero loss on the new leaver. it is just a quick tap and its done!!!

What is dry shifting?? nver heard of it ??

Twiggy

1 - 20 of 55 Posts