Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously, there's some weight saving, but would switching from rival to red rear derailleur make shifting any smoother? I know what Sram's website would say, but I'd rather hear it from fellow members. And for those mechanically inclined on here, how would this be accomplished? Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,444 Posts
Can I assume you are running Rival shifters? Then no. The shifter controls the rd. There might be some minor differences in spring tension, but I don't think you'd feel that at the lever. SRAM aren't particularly "smooth" shifters. Very mechanical and precise is how I'd describe them. When I think of smooth and shifting I think of a more vague feeling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
krisdrum said:
Can I assume you are running Rival shifters? Then no. The shifter controls the rd. There might be some minor differences in spring tension, but I don't think you'd feel that at the lever. SRAM aren't particularly "smooth" shifters. Very mechanical and precise is how I'd describe them. When I think of smooth and shifting I think of a more vague feeling.
That's a good description of the Sram shifters. I would have to agree. I do like the "precision" of the Sram Red shifters, but just wanted to see if I can get them to shift more smoothly. Maybe that's just not possible?!?! BTW, I am running the Sram RED shifters, chain, and cranks. My front and rear derailleurs are still Rivals as well as my cassette and brakes.
 

·
Rub it............
Joined
·
3,833 Posts
Swapping out the RD will not make is smoother - as you are describing it. Of course your sensitivity to a feeling of smoothness is different than anyone elses.

Switching to a Shimano cassette and chain will smooth out the shift - as others have done. So YMMV.

I'm using a full SRAM group - minus crank - and find that its pretty smooth for me IME..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
frdfandc said:
Swapping out the RD will not make is smoother - as you are describing it. Of course your sensitivity to a feeling of smoothness is different than anyone elses.

Switching to a Shimano cassette and chain will smooth out the shift - as others have done. So YMMV.

I'm using a full SRAM group - minus crank - and find that its pretty smooth for me IME..
Thanks. Maybe it's just me then :( What Shimano cassette/chain combo do you recommend?
 

·
Adventure Seeker
Joined
·
5,115 Posts
I'm for the cassette and chain switch too. When I went from the SRAM to the Shimano, I noticed a considerable improvement in shifting performance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Peanya said:
I'm for the cassette and chain switch too. When I went from the SRAM to the Shimano, I noticed a considerable improvement in shifting performance.
Good to know. Changing to Ultegra cassette and chain will probably be less expensive too, compared to getting Red rear derailleur.

What Ultegra cassette size would be compatible with the Sram Rival rear derailleur?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,444 Posts
Cni2i said:
What Ultegra cassette size would be compatible with the Sram Rival rear derailleur?
Any. Ultegra only goes up to a 12-27, SRAM does a 11-28, so any Ultegra will be fine. I use both SRAM and Shimano (and IRC) cassettes and haven't noticed any difference, but also haven't really been paying attention. Might have to give that a closer look.
 

·
Rub it............
Joined
·
3,833 Posts
krisdrum said:
Any. Ultegra only goes up to a 12-27, SRAM does a 11-28, so any Ultegra will be fine. I use both SRAM and Shimano (and IRC) cassettes and haven't noticed any difference, but also haven't really been paying attention. Might have to give that a closer look.

Ultegra 6700 is now avail in a 11-28. You can use any size cassette up to a 28 max size cog with the Sram RD.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top