Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
On a different mission...
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot stomach the price of Shimano gruppos. Is Rival/Force just as light/good? TIA.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Zachariah said:
I cannot stomach the price of Shimano gruppos. Is Rival/Force just as light/good? TIA.
Do some quick searches, and you'll find plenty of info. The new 2009 rival is the most affordable and probably best bang for your buck. New full grouppo including cranks run anywhere from $750 to 900. Only a few grams heavier than force, and a few over Red. The difference is Rival crankset is alloy. Excellent LIGHT and precise groupset.

·
Registered
377 Posts
And its my understanding that the '09 Rival shifter internals are the same mechanism as the '08 Red but with a few different materials that are lighter. The Reds shift great; I love them.

·
Upgraded n00b
123 Posts
Is it just as good? HAH! Better. But who am I to judge? I love Rival. Shifting is quick, precise, and when the whole system is set up right, it's smooooth..

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
The SRAM groupo seems to be getting fans all around the world. From what I've read after you get used to the shifting it becomes second nature like any other system. If I ever get sick of my Campy system I might swap out for a full Rival or Force setup.. But that'll also accompany a new frame and everything else as well!

·
Administrator
13,006 Posts
2009 Rival is probably the best bang for the buck group on the market today. :thumbsup:

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
I can't comment on the reliability, since I just had my first ride with '09 Force this past weekend, but so far I'm glad I made the leap (get it? get it?! LOLTZ!)

I've never been a fan of Shimano stuff and loved the SRAM stuff when I tested it out. It's light, the actions are very crisp and tactile - I don't like the dampened mushy feeling that Shimano tends to give. The brakes are great as well. Some people have mentioned some setup issues, but it wasn't any more difficult than usual for setting up a fresh install...set the limit screws, run the cables, pull up the cable slack, and turn the barrel adjuster a few times. Done.

I kind of wish the front shifter had trim for the small ring and not the large, but the cage is wide so it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

I'm happy with it. I kind of wish I'd given Campy a better look, or gone with '08 Rival (since it was silver) with Force shifters, but whatever. I do appreciate the fact that SRAM is based in the US. So I'd recommend it based on my limited experience.

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
For the money/weight....SRAM Rival can't be beat....period!

I've had bikes with Ultegra and 105 and am currently riding 09 Rival...My preference is Rival over both. It's lighter, has more accurate shifting, cheaper and the feel is every bit as nice.

The biggest difference is the way you shift and the feel of the shifts. Shimano is smoother, no doubt about that, but it can be somewhat vague. SRAM feels a bit more mechanical but it's more assuring in that you know you shifted gears. I really like the feel of the hoods on SRAM shifters compared to Shimano (though I haven't tried Dura Ace 7900) and the shifting took me about 5 seconds to learn.

I however, can't compare to Campy since I've never owned a Campy group.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
Daren said:
And its my understanding that the '09 Rival shifter internals are the same mechanism as the '08 Red but with a few different materials that are lighter. The Reds shift great; I love them.
all left hand sram shifters have the zero loss mechanism like red, the right side force/rival shifters don't have zero loss. the brake lever and shift paddles now all have the same shape (longer, basically). they all have carbon brake levers. the shift paddles on rival are aluminum, on force they're magnesium, and they're carbon on the red. they all have reach adjust, and all have the option to run the shift cables on the front or back of the bars.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
+1 for Rival. I run pure 08 Rival on my cross bike and Red shifters with 08 Rival on my road bike (I wanted to take advantage of the zero loss stuff). As soon as I get the cash and/or need, I'll upgrade the shifters on the cross bike too. I've been riding SRAM for close to 3 years now and love it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
GirchyGirchy said:
I kind of wish the front shifter had trim for the small ring and not the large, but the cage is wide so it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
Why did Sram go from small ring trim (on '08 Rival shifters) to big ring trim (on '09 Rival)? I've had both shifters and preferred the small ring trim.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Check probikekit's prices too. If you do go the SRAM route, I personally recommend an Ultegra or 105 cassette with it.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
ssing20 said:
Why did Sram go from small ring trim (on '08 Rival shifters) to big ring trim (on '09 Rival)? I've had both shifters and preferred the small ring trim.
I don't know. I think I read somewhere that it was for racers who may spend more time in the big ring. F that.

·
I didn't even own a cat..
594 Posts
I have '08 force with an ultegra cassette, rival crank and red chainrings. My bike is awesome. The shifting is great. I have to say that without the zero trim on the front, the throws are a bit long. What I can say is that I like how SRAM shifts on the cassette better than DA. But DA shifts smoother on the chainrings. Nevertheless Rival is the way to go for the price.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
This thread is making me consider moving to SRAM Rival for the TT bike now. Only problem is my bar end shifters are Dura Ace. Hmm...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts