Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with these wheels? I weigh 170 lbs and have a strong sprint...worried if the 20 spoke count rear will hold up. I'd appreciate any advice I can get.

·
AKA Old Man
598 Posts
I think you will be fine. My shop recommended those and the Race and I weigh 205. I declined because I can not find many reviews or personal experience information about this line of Sram wheels.

·
Online Wheel Builder
3,213 Posts
You may want to try to air of the safe side of things. Even though you may be able to get away with it, going with 24 spokes in the back will increase the odds of surviving a deep pothole. You could easily find a wheelset that is stiffer, lighter, and cheaper while still having more spokes than the S30.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Stoneman said:
I weigh 170 lbs and have a strong sprint...worried if the 20 spoke count rear will hold up. I'd appreciate any advice I can get.
I just don't understand why anyone would want to risk a wheel, a race, a ride over a few spokes. If you have to be concerned whether x-number of spokes is going to be enough then you need more spokes. Maybe if gold medals were at stake the risk might be worth taking - might. But for me, success is completing a ride without having to walk home with the bike on the shoulder. I'm 170lbs and I can sleep at night with 24/28 spokes on my summer wheels and 32/32 on my crappy weather wheels.

·
AKA Old Man
598 Posts
Nothing yet,,, running an old box section 600 hub wheel on front and an Aksium rear... Will probably order next week, thinking Zen or BWW.

I like the Sram wheels, but either they are not being talked about, or they are still too new. 1K for the S30 Race is a bit steep....

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
i weigh 150 and the total bike weight with me + gear + bike totals about 175lbs. i ride the s30 sprint in NYC. Where potholes are every block. cracks on the tarmac are an every minute occurrence, and manholes are considered smooth. I have about 500 miles on my wheelset and so far they have been perfect. i just rode my 2nd century with them today. No problems at all. they spin up faster and are more responsive to out of saddle hammering than my old aksiums. mine came in at 1540g with rim tape, which is probably due to the stronger and deeper rim (than whose ~1400g thin-rimmed wheels, mfg weighed, without rim tape) I use these for training and will use them if/when i do race. They're not fragile like those super light wheels with lightweight rims.

The straight pull sapim spokes are "slightly"(?) lighter than the J-bend sapim spokes, but are a little harder to find. But definitely search-able. i contacted sapim direct and they sent me a list of local dealers that they work with that can order me any sapim spoke i want.

here is a pic of them the day i received them, sorry for the messy BG, didn't bother cleaning:

the freewheel noise is definitely there, but they are a soothing click, not like the loud aksiums, or super loud zipps. I have no problem listening to my freewheel click going downhill or coasting at 25mph all day. Oh, and i also noticed that i can coast longer from the same speeds than my old wheelset, definitely not placebo effect.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
it's the same 30mm wheel you can get from KINLIN and have built to any spoke configuration you want. Put hybrid bearings in the hubs if you smoother performance. could build a set for less than $1k

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.