Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my "new to me" Cervelo R3 and got everything set up and started riding. Having a blast until my bar tape started to conform to the edges on the shifters. When I started experiencing pain I unwrapped the bars and took a look. I noticed that there is a cable routing port on the top, outside edge of each shifter which is apparently not used. If there were a cable running out of it there would be no problem, however, as it stands, it creates a sharp point under the outside palm of each hand. Anybody understand why it's there and not used. Any suggestions? I though about running a piece of cable housing out of it just to take up the space. I took photos but cant figure out how to post here. Thanks

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
It's not used because whoever set up the bike chose not to use them. Mechanic's option - either is valid. Personally, I prefer the outer routing, since it makes a smaller bend in the cable, and avoids the issue you mention. If you want to run a cable there, I'd recommend getting a fresh set of cables and rerouting. You likely need an inch or two more if you use the outer routing.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,669 Posts
^ what danl1 said ^ just replace the shift cables/housing and route using the outside exit.
and...
get a free photobucket or similar account and just link to your photos.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
It's not used because whoever set up the bike chose not to use them. Mechanic's option - either is valid. Personally, I prefer the outer routing, since it makes a smaller bend in the cable, and avoids the issue you mention. If you want to run a cable there, I'd recommend getting a fresh set of cables and rerouting. You likely need an inch or two more if you use the outer routing.
Yes. My bike came cabled using the inner port. When I recabled the bike I tried both routings and the cable slid easier through the housing using the outside routing, which makes sense. Also, I cut a 2 cm long piece of bar tape into two pieces and stacked them on the the bars against the top edge of the shifter base next to the cable housing under the bar tape to smooth the transition. Sweet!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.