Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This post has nothing to do with the Tour results.

Anybody watch the last stage? About 20k into the stage, Contador and Schleck were playing around and the two of them went off the front in a mock attack with Schleck waving to the peleton to not chase. This went on for a minute or so and they were going quite hard. After the peleton caught up, Schleck appeared to have a shifting/drive train stoppage problem, and got a new bike from the team car. No doubt coincidence given the number of SRAM users in the Tour and the lack of drive train issues with the rest but still, I wonder if we'll ever find out what was the problem for both incidents?

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
boneman said:
This post has nothing to do with the Tour results.

Anybody watch the last stage? About 20k into the stage, Contador and Schleck were playing around and the two of them went off the front in a mock attack with Schleck waving to the peleton to not chase. This went on for a minute or so and they were going quite hard. After the peleton caught up, Schleck appeared to have a shifting/drive train stoppage problem, and got a new bike from the team car. No doubt coincidence given the number of SRAM users in the Tour and the lack of drive train issues with the rest but still, I wonder if we'll ever find out what was the problem for both incidents?
Never used it, but rumor is SRAM Red is crap compared to D/A or Campy. Racers ride what they are paid to ride.

·
Cpark
2,062 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Never used it, but rumor is SRAM Red is crap compared to D/A or Campy. Racers ride what they are paid to ride.
Uh-Oh....you just opened up the can......:D

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
well, in the first incident AS had it cross-chained pretty severely. In the little chainring and maybe the 13T cog, the derailleur has a tough time taking up that much slack in the chain. A bump in the road can be enough to drop a chain. I'd be more likely to scratch that up to "user error" than I would to blame the equipment.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Agreed that racers ride what they're paid to ride. That being said, I've ridden both Red and D/A and prefer Red.

·
mattpnewell
86 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
ummm, yeah that is reality. time to come down to earth. if red was crap, then why did all 3 podium finishers last year ride red, and 2 out of 3 this year. Even lance, who was always a shimano guy made the change, and it was his choice for the whole team to change after he rode sram. SRAM is leading the way in bike sales and more bikes every year have sram gruppos on them.

·
Registered
107 Posts
avalnch33 said:
ummm, yeah that is reality. time to come down to earth. if red was crap, then why did all 3 podium finishers last year ride red, and 2 out of 3 this year. Even lance, who was always a shimano guy made the change, and it was his choice for the whole team to change after he rode sram. SRAM is leading the way in bike sales and more bikes every year have sram gruppos on them.
You really think the kind of gruppo you have makes a difference as to why you're on a podium and not talent?

I could run Red and I'd still be a fred...

·
Cpark
2,062 Posts
avalnch33 said:

I could be wrong, but I believe Lance owns a small part of the Sram......

·
mattpnewell
86 Posts
1nf0s3c said:
You really think the kind of gruppo you have makes a difference as to why you're on a podium and not talent?

no i'm just saying that red is not a crappy gruppo, far from it in fact. i never mentioned a 'fred,' so not sure where that came from.

·
Registered
216 Posts
1nf0s3c said:

You could be a fred, that may be so but in Schlecks case, chaingate actually made a big difference in his podium finish.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
thesmokingman said:
You could be a fred, that may be so but in Schlecks case, chaingate actually made a big difference in his podium finish.
It would have happened whatever system he was using. Extreme cross-chaining puts the chain in a position where it clips the outer ring and can be caught when you shift. This incident is in the same category as Wiggin's chain drop and Millar's chain drop - rider error either on the road or in the choice/omission of parts.

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:

Yeah, 55,000 plus posts and 54,000 of them are probably just like this. This Richard brings so much to the forums.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
Everytime cross-chaining comes up, someone seems to point out that it gets done in races all the time and its no big deal. So does it get done all the time? And if so, should SRAM skate on the fact that Schleck was doing something "bad". If I was a TDF contenting climber, I wouldn't want to feel that I couldn't attack with a crossed chain.

IMO, either Andy was doing nothing wrong and bad luck with a rock in the road bouncing off his chain, or SRAM Red is not quite up to par for racing.

Personally, I think it was just bad luck.

That said, no way I would want to try pedal a dropped chain back on with double-tap.

·
Cpark
2,062 Posts
PeanutButterBreath said:
Everytime cross-chaining comes up, someone seems to point out that it gets done in races all the time and its no big deal. So does it get done all the time? And if so, should SRAM skate on the fact that Schleck was doing something "bad". If I was a TDF contenting climber, I wouldn't want to feel that I couldn't attack with a crossed chain.

IMO, either Andy was doing nothing wrong and bad luck with a rock in the road bouncing off his chain, or SRAM Red is not quite up to par for racing.

That said, no way I would want to try pedal a dropped chain back on with double-tap.

I'd have to agree that was a bad luck.
Too bad for Sram because it's a bad publicity.

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
i dont know about you guys, but i think i'd rather have SRAM Red than DA Di2 or even the regular DA.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I've got absolutely no opinion on SRAM stuff, but did see what the OP saw when I was watching the stage yesterday. P&P initially thought Andy was fooling around, faking a mechanical problem, then he went back to the car and a mechanic fiddled around, so it looked like he'd done the exact same thing again. WTF?? :eek:

·
Registered
16 Posts
avalnch33 said:
Even lance, who was always a shimano guy made the change, and it was his choice for the whole team to change after he rode sram.
Armstrong has an ownership interest in SRAM, which explains everything about that choice.

-dB

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,440 Posts
PeanutButterBreath said:

cross chaining gets done all the time, but the other way...big/big, not small/small, and it works fine. it's ridiculous for people to slam any brand when things like this happen. basically, sh*t happens...there is no way you can guarantee that you'll never ever drop a chain. how can a bike function perfectly for 80k and then all of a sudden drop the chain? who knows...sh*t happened.

·
Cpark
2,062 Posts
skyliner1004 said:
i dont know about you guys, but i think i'd rather have SRAM Red than DA Di2 or even the regular DA.

To each his own.
They all work (for the most part), so it's really the personal preference.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts