Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· RoadBikeRider
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have been running all 6600 on my bike for several years. Finally time for a new cassette and there is not a 12-27 cassette option in 6700 but no problem...SRAM makes one and it is totally compatiable right?

Pull off the old and start putting on the new...without spacer as instructed. Everything stacks fine, the 12 tooth cog catches the splines just right...put on the lockring and start snugging it down. After it is tight there is still lots of play in all the cogs. Maybe I need the spacer after all, even though it is not supposed to be used. With the spacer on I can not get the 12 tooth cog to fit over the freehub splines..the stack is too tall. Remove once again and try without spacer. No go..

I discovered that the SRAM lockring is bottoming out in the threads of the freehub body (which is a 6600 8-10 speed ) I pull the lockring out and discover that it is approximately twice as long (the threaded area) as the Shimano lockring. Maybe I can just use the Shimano lockring...not sure.

Back to the LBS where I purchased it and they were stumped too. Looking inside the threaded end of the freehub body it is obviously not deep enough for the SRAM lockring. They removed the rubber seal ring that sits under the lockring to make more space...still a no go. They think that maybe my freehub body is assembled incorrectly and that the dust cover may not be pressed in all the way. I returned the cassette and went home to investigate further. Besides if it was just the dust cover being out of place, torquing down on the lockring would have surely seated it properly.

I pulled the dust cover off the freehub body and there is an obvious ridge where the cover sits and even with the cover removed the threads are not any deeper and the lockring would not have threaded in any further. I compared it to my 105 hub and they appear identical from the outside where the lockring threads in. At the LBS they showed me a newer hub...probably a 6700 and it was obviously deeper and had more threads for the lockring...so do I have an oddball freehub body or is SRAM maybe not compatiable with ALL Shimano 8-10 speed hubs?

Anybody else have this issue? Sorry this is so long, difficult to get the point across in a few words. I was able to track down a 6600 cassette that I will purchase and use for now.

Thanks.

· Registered
1,846 Posts
From the description it seems that the issue is that the thread on Sram hubs and lockrings is longer than it is on Shimano hubs and lockrings.

I don't get your problem. If the cassette was fine otherwise why fool around with the hub, and not simply use the original Shimano lockring that matched the hub correctly.

While cassette spacing and spline are compatible, there's no assurance that lockrings are, so the solution is to match the lockring to the hub, keeping in mind that cassettes starting with 11t need lockrings with smaller flanges.

9,925 Posts
I have never seen this problem. And I've installed a lot of SRAM cassettes on Shimano hubs.

· RoadBikeRider
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
exactly

From the description it seems that the issue is that the thread on Sram hubs and lockrings is longer than it is on Shimano hubs and lockrings.

FBinNY..you are exactly right.

I just wasn't sure if the Shimano lockring would work properly with the SRAM cassette. It appeared that it would and it would definitely tighten down properly but I was not sure about using it.

· Registered
1,846 Posts
As long as the cassette overhang is minimal (some is required) there should be plenty of thread engagement. You want about 3-4 turns of the lockring for good thread strength.

It's basic screw design, there's plenty of latitude as long as the screw isn't so long that it bottoms in the hole.

· Registered
1,846 Posts
andulong said:
Hi,

but no problem...SRAM makes one and it is totally compatiable right?

As you're now aware, compatible doesn't always mean, identical. Whenever you mix stuff, even compatible stuff you have to be aware of and compensate for subtle differences.

In your case, I can't fathom why a professional mechanic would fool with hub seals or modifying the hub, when the simple expedient was to either grind the Sram lockring shorter, or use the original lockring that came off your hub. It's like turning left and going around the block to visit someone two houses down on the right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.