Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two years ago my father had back surgery and since then was able to get back on a bike. Last year he sold his Allez and purchased a Roubaix for a more comfortable ride. He rode his Allez triple for 10 years, and the Roubaix has an SRAM apex group on it.

Long story short is he feels he can never find the sweet spot when riding. So I am about to buy him a 105 triple group set and swap it out for him.

Before I go and swap the group on the bike is there any other solutions or adjustments that can be made? I have read people having this same issue on multiple forums seems to be one of the biggest complaints.

Please note that we are casual weekend warriors :)

Also if i go ahead with the swap how much do you think I would be able to sell the Apex Group for? it has under 500 miles on it and how often do they move would it be something i would sit on for a year before it sold?

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
With the SRAM set up are you running their large range cassette?

With their WiFli set up, you can run up to a 32 rear cassette. The spacing may be an issue between cassettes, but with a compact front you will have as wide, or wider gearing range than with a triple and better shifting up front.

If you are running it and need a little closer gearing ... you could wait until the 11 speed Red comes out in June and get the shifters and cassette with the wide gearing (or run a SRAM MTB cassette), which would help a lot with the spacing and gearing.

Another thing to look at if the gear spacing is an issue is change the small front chainring to a 36 tooth to give a 14 tooth jump from big to small rings. This helps with the gearing gap many times and could be a cheap solution if running a wide range cassette.

As for selling the Apex group ... since it's used and a take off from a current bike, I wouldn't expect more than a couple hundred dollars for the group. Unless you have money to burn, it's likely not worth the switch over given the extra cost Shimano 105 will run you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm pretty sure its a 2012 maybe a 2011, I looked it up and the cassette appears to be SRAM Apex, 10-speed, 11-32t.

How do we go about closing the gaps in gears ? I'm new to this excuse any ignorance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
By buying a new cassette, ie: 11-25, 12-25, etc. If you could figure out what his old cassette was, that would be perfect.

I am assuming that's what you meant by "sweet spot". Not that you are having trouble tuning and calibrating the derailleurs.

·
Registered
157 Posts
"Another thing to look at if the gear spacing is an issue is change the small front chainring to a 36 tooth to give a 14 tooth jump from big to small rings. This helps with the gearing gap many times and could be a cheap solution if running a wide range cassette."

I switched from a triple to Sram compact last year and wasn't too thrilled until I put a 36 on the front. Much smoother shifting and easier to find a cadence while climbing. I run mine with a Shimano 105 12-27 and the shifts are just as fast but a lot quieter than the SRAM cassetts.

Speed tops out about when I tuck anyway. The only time I've wanted a lower gear was at the end of a hilly century.

·
Registered
21,725 Posts
Long story short is he feels he can never find the sweet spot when riding. So I am about to buy him a 105 triple group set and swap it out for him.
The point that is not clear to me is whether he is having trouble not having low enough gears or if the problem is that his cadence is always too high or too low. If it is the former then smaller chain rings or bigger cassette cogs is the answer but if it is the "too high or too low" problem then it's because the jumps between the cogs on the cassette are too big. If he never uses the highest gears then you can get a cassette that starts with a bigger small cog and therefore will have closer spaced cogs. Same story if he never uses the lowest gears (smaller big cog). But if he needs the full range and the gears are just too widely spaced then the triple is the answer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.