Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,985 Posts
Shouldn't that be called a steerer bell? My guess is it sticks out so you can reach it with your thumb from the top of the bars?

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Replacing a similar height of spacer is the right plan. But it's pretty thin, and depending on what you have in your stack...

As for what direction, I'd be tempted to tuck it up under the stem so it would be fairly hidden. You should be able to reposition the striker off to one side if desired. No, it wouldn't be all that easy to use there, but how much action is it really going to see? If you spend a lot of time on the MUT or where they do get used a lot, one of the incredibell bar-end models is handy.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I reckon you are supposed to mount it under the top cap of the stem, only place that seems to make any sense with that ring mount that wont change your stack height. Then I assume it will just sit over your stem (assuming your stem isn't jacked up at a high angle), twist the bell sideways so you can reach the trigger.

·
9,790 Posts
I reckon you are supposed to mount it under the top cap of the stem, only place that seems to make any sense with that ring mount that wont change your stack height. Then I assume it will just sit over your stem (assuming your stem isn't jacked up at a high angle), twist the bell sideways so you can reach the trigger.
Have none of you ever seen a steerer-mount bell before? Seriously?

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
I was curious so searched Yahoo:

But this really doesn't seem sensible to me.
There are jurisdictions where you have to have a bell, even if they aren't necessarily all that useful. This is ideal for that.

It's a little more useful and a lot more ugly like this:
mirrycle.com: incredibell headset mount 270

If you want one that's out of the way, relatively stealthy, and still quite usable, this is a decent option:

mirrycle.com: bar end incredibell

Bells might have a dork factor of about +20, but if you are among non-serious cyclists, they work about a bazillion times better than "On yer left!"​

·
Registered
453 Posts
The pic Camilo posted looks right, but inconvenient to actually use.

FWIW, if you ride in congested areas, the little bell is a wonderful addition. Gets better attention than "On your left!" Really miss my Incredibell.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I bought one for riding on the Golden Gate while they had the West side closed for renovation. Those were some of my most dangerous days on a bike....but the bell worked really well, especially for non English speakers.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I'm going to get a bar end bell form my cross/commuter bike. I remember seeing them a few years ago, but couldn't actually find them online. Now I see they're pretty easy to get, and not expensive.

On the other hand, 99% of the time I use a bell, the person doesn't hear me. I'll probably use it in conjunction with my normal strategy - to just pass slowly and carefully. Maybe now I'll use the bell when I'm rolling very slowly up behind them at about 10 feet distance. Further than that, if there's any wind or traffic noise, I don't believe there's a bell in the world, other than a drumset cowbell banged by a large stick, that could be heard on the paths I (seldom) ride on.

·
9,790 Posts
Correct, never seen one, havent seen a bell on a bike since high school 30 years ago, except for the kids ones.

Where do you mount it then, because that pic that Camilo posted looks rediculous?
It is designed to be out of the way. Indiana (and other states) have laws requiring bells on all bikes. Some towns actually enforce it ( Carmel, for instance). This lets you be legal without losing space for computers, Garmins, etc.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.