Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what you guys think of the new SRAM components coming out. Do you think they'll stand up against Campy and Shimano. I beleive that the top of the line is the force. Anyone know what the weight will be? Im not sure i'll be eager to get the gruppo and put it on my bikes but don't know about you.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I seen it at Sea Otter Classic

It is sweet looking and feeling components. The SRAM guy said that the price is $1800. I thought that was kinda steep. But they look sweet and I would consider buying it, and I am a Dura Ace guy.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just built up seven bikes with the new Sram Force and Rival groups. It's now 11:48 on the west coast and I am super tired. Another 12 hour day at the shop! At first getting used to the new shifting pattern was a little frustrating especially when setting it up for the first time. After the third bike I had gotten used to it and the shifting action was really smooth and intuitive. The finish and the overall look in my opinion is on par with Shimano and had a crisper cutting edge look. This was particularly apparent on the brake arches. My only complaint was the lack of centering screws on the brakes. To be honest I am quite sick of Shimano being the only game in town on road bikes and I am quite tired of grumpy old campy elitests. I am glad there is going to be a third choice and eventually also a fourth choice. Competition will only drive the technology further and components will only become less expensive as higher level technology trickles down to lower priced platforms. I can't wait to build up my new ride with Sram Force since it will nicely suit my XO equiped mountain bikes.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Is SRAM Force Available Now?

FBM AL said:
I just built up seven bikes with the new Sram Force and Rival groups. It's now 11:48 on the west coast and I am super tired. Another 12 hour day at the shop! At first getting used to the new shifting pattern was a little frustrating especially when setting it up for the first time. After the third bike I had gotten used to it and the shifting action was really smooth and intuitive. The finish and the overall look in my opinion is on par with Shimano and had a crisper cutting edge look. This was particularly apparent on the brake arches. My only complaint was the lack of centering screws on the brakes. To be honest I am quite sick of Shimano being the only game in town on road bikes and I am quite tired of grumpy old campy elitests. I am glad there is going to be a third choice and eventually also a fourth choice. Competition will only drive the technology further and components will only become less expensive as higher level technology trickles down to lower priced platforms. I can't wait to build up my new ride with Sram Force since it will nicely suit my XO equiped mountain bikes.
Can Joe Quadpack actually get SRAM Force now? If not, how are you gettting all the SRAM Force and Rival groups to install?

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
I'm not going to be switching anytime soon. Since September 2005 I've upgraded two of my bikes from Shimano Ultegra to Campagnolo Record (one more to go. It'll be Centuar though).

I suppose more players is good, however it kind of sucks (for me) that SRAM stuff will play nicely with Shimano. I love how campy looks and works, however it's pricey.

·
Island Hopping cyclist
530 Posts
I did see the new SRAM group set in action at the Walterboro (SC) Crit. The Serria Nevada/Kodak team was outfitted with them. One of thier riders finished second behing Ivan Dominguiz. I got a good look at the shifters and I'm still impressed at the double tap shifting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Sram stuff is not available. The reason I got to play with it was due to an event being put on by Raleigh America and Sram. They needed bikes assembled for this event and my shop built them up. Working in the industry has it's perks! I

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
FBM AL said:
That was why several of my bikes had Sachs New Success on em a while back. ...that and the 40% discount I was getting on the parts!

Well-built stuff back then. A little heavier than either Campy or Shimano, but seemed to be VERY tough.

Haven't seen the new stuff in person, but I'm seriously tempted!

M

·
Registered
845 Posts
Not sure about compatibility

As I understand it, SRAM shifters &Derrailleurs will have a cable-pull similar (but not the same) as their MTB parts, so no mix and match there. I also thought I'd read in one of the many "tech reports" that the chain width will be a third width as well, so that may be a problem when trying to mix it up too. I haven't heard much about the FSA gruppo yet, but will be glad to see more competition in the road component choices - more like the days when you had (the real) Suntour, Sachs-Huret and others from Europe competing too. Of course back then Shimano was considered to be WAY back in the mix of makers. Hopefully they'll all be strong competitors with each other.

Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.