Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have SRAM Rival components on my Ritchey Breakaway with a non-WiFli rear derailleur (max. cog size of 28t).
I would like to set the bike up for a 32t max (ie WiFli) for some of my travels to be able to comfortably get up anything. I will be traveling to several steep climbs in Europe in the coming year or two and believe me I will need it.

I'm running a compact crank (50/34t) and plan to purchase the necessary cassette (12-32t) and rear derailleur (WiFli compatible).

Do I need replace the chain (it's fairly new) so that it is longer? I think it may be a few links too short from my current setup, but I'm not sure. I will mostly be riding a 12-25t or 12-27t cassette when I'm on home roads.

Any info would be appreciated. (Not sure if I should cross-post in the SRAM thread)

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
More than likely you will need to go to a longer chain to accommodate the wider range. However, I would install the new derailleur and cassette first and check the current chain before replacing it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
To do it right, a new chain is needed.
If I remember right, it was one link that made the difference.
I built a bike up with 11-28, ran it, and decided I needed to go deeper and swapped up to 11-32 and Wi-Fli. I could have run it, if I was super careful, but when you are cold, tired and make that last shift that grenades the drivetrain...
It was a bummer, swapping out near new cluster, RD, and chain, but worth it in gear, and piece of mind.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Thanks guys. I will plan on replacing the chain.
This is the best way to go because if you forget you have a tight chain and go big big on the shift, you'll probably spending the next day trying to find a derailleur hanger for your bike.

You know, just to be safe, it would not hurt to bring an extra along. Are your spokes "special" and hard to find??? Maybe get a few of those too for backups.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I'm thinking of doing just the opposite. I have WiFli with 32t and am thinking of going to a smaller cassette, 12-27 or 28t, and shorter caged RD. The hills that we have around me, I've never used the lowest gear, and if I were to go the some of the bigger hills, my mentality is that I just need to work harder to get to the top. I'm also weird in thinking that I don't want my road bike looking like it has mtn bike gearing. Lame I know.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm thinking of doing just the opposite. I have WiFli with 32t and am thinking of going to a smaller cassette, 12-27 or 28t, and shorter caged RD. The hills that we have around me, I've never used the lowest gear, and if I were to go the some of the bigger hills, my mentality is that I just need to work harder to get to the top. I'm also weird in thinking that I don't want my road bike looking like it has mtn bike gearing. Lame I know.
I understand completely. I will see how I do when I'm in better shape, but I do feel that I should be able to get up anything with a 34x28. I'm just getting older and fatter it seems, so I kind of want that "bail out" gear if needed. I don't want that long cage on my otherwise cool looking road bike simply for aesthetic reasons too. Don't want it to look like a touring bike. Hell, the younger me would have scoffed at riding a compact crank! Old man wuss I've become I guess:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.