Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Trek 1.2 road bike with Sora components and am thinking about going with SRAM components. Would everything need to be changed out or could i upgrade certain things at one time or what would be the best way to go.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
You could get away with just shifters and rear der to get into sram. All the rest, crank, brakes, and frt der should work fine with the sram equipment. Unless its a triple up front, then no.

Bill

·
Registered
152 Posts
Based on my understanding, the absolute minimum to change is the Rear Derailleur, Cassette (because Sora is 9-sp, at least), and Shifters. Brakes are interchangeable, all Front Derailleurs are about the same (I don't think the 9-sp label on FDs matters, but I could be wrong), and I'm not sure about Cranks. My Sora bike has a Truvativ (e.g., Sram) crank, so unless they're somehow 9-speed specific, I don't think there's a problem there.

For the record, I'm considering swapping to Rival at some point too…and that's basically what my research has suggested, though I haven't talked to a shop yet. My old bike shop was also really lazy, and all of my cables need to be re-done at some point, so I may just wait until things start breaking…'cuz it's going to happen at some point.

My only hesitation is because Tiagra shifters are a lot cheaper than Rival and I have a line on a NOS 9-sp Dura Ace rear derailleur that a friend bought on a whim and that I could probably get for stupid cheap. I'd be curious about your experience if/when you do decide to do it, because it's a lot of money just because I'm pissed off at Shimano.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Get familiar with SRAM before you swap out, it's very difficult for some to get used to. Everything I've heard points to it being a little expensive to upgrade components. Many will just buy a new bicycle that is set up the way they want it instead of upgrading. Try to shop online or from somewhere that might allow you to save a buck or two.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
The easiest way may be to swap out the entire group. Ebay has the Apex group for less than 500 shipped. Thats without the cranks...

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,421 Posts
A bike built up with Sora components is usually not worth upgrading, while the old components still work.

Ride the bike into the ground until you wear the components out. Then get a higher quality bike, with "better" components.

Would you put a $1000 sound systen into a $2000 used car?

·
Registered
180 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
A bike built up with Sora components is usually not worth upgrading, while the old components still work.

Ride the bike into the ground until you wear the components out. Then get a higher quality bike, with "better" components.

Would you put a $1000 sound systen into a $2000 used car?
Depends on the situation - although you did say usually.

My trek 1.5 came with sora components (save for the Tiagra RD) and i'm considering switching to sram apex. It's a quality frame (same as the current top of the line trek aluminum) and i've added Neuvation wheels.

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
I'd also vote for upgraded the entire groupset, Apex or Rival ftw. Sram is super easy to learn and much snappier and IMO, faster than Shimano's buttery shifting.

·
Pack Fodder.
1,871 Posts
I would go with the new bike over upgrading the groupset. SRAM Apex bikes should be coming in at very competitive prices soon, and Rival bikes aren't bad at all right now. Catch some off-season sales and you should be able to score a real deal.

That would give you a rain bike and a nice bike. Each time I buy a new bike, this is my justification. I have a few rain bikes now.

·
Registered
791 Posts
As others have mentioned, any reason for upgrading your Sora? Is there something wrong with it? Don't like the thumb shifters?

If its the thumb shifters, you can find plenty of 9 spd paddle shifters on ebay that are perfectly compatible with what you have.

Otherwise, stick with, and enjoy, your Sora gear until it wears out. Then upgrade.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have the exact same bike... Picked up a Rival group off of c-list for a decent price and swapped it all out. I must say, that the SRAM shifting seems so much better than the sora, it is quick and smooth. All of the advise here is similar to what I got when I asked this question.

When it comes down to it, it is up to you. I am very happy with my decision and with the SRAM group... Now I need some wheels, and I will probably keep this bike for... ever..

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=214990
as you can see... these guys are fairly consistent, I got all the same questions/advise :D

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
krisdrum said:
No, same as Shimano.
And, while I like my Force shifters, I had far better performance with a Dura-Ace cable set. I think the PFTE (Teflon) coating on the SRAM cables didn't agree with the wet PacNW weather.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
simonaway427 said:
As others have mentioned, any reason for upgrading your Sora? Is there something wrong with it? Don't like the thumb shifters?

If its the thumb shifters, you can find plenty of 9 spd paddle shifters on ebay that are perfectly compatible with what you have.

Otherwise, stick with, and enjoy, your Sora gear until it wears out. Then upgrade.
^ ^ ^ ^
This. Plus its time for a new Front DR (although I may just get a Sora one off ebay).

·
Third Coast Colnago
363 Posts
Hooben said:
Get familiar with SRAM before you swap out, it's very difficult for some to get used to. Everything I've heard points to it being a little expensive to upgrade components. Many will just buy a new bicycle that is set up the way they want it instead of upgrading. Try to shop online or from somewhere that might allow you to save a buck or two.

I LOVE SRAM. I added it to my new bike and the translation from 105 to SRAM force was relatively quick. The only difficult "translation" was when climbing hills. Now after 2 weeks, I haven't had one hiccup. I find SRAM Force quick and crisp. The chain slaps down on the gear as soon as I click the shifter. My 105 is kind of spongy, although I do like 105 and think its a great package. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So after some thought I may go with just upgrading the shifters. Ordered a new front dr for less than 10 shipped.

·
Registered
152 Posts
As I said, I keep vacillating between those two options…it'll probably come down to how much money I decide to throw at it and how happy I am with my frame when I decide to do it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts