Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my bikes has a SRAM Rival setup. 2 years ago the right shifter broke. Based on some recommendations here I installed a Campy Veloce shifter and that worked beautifully. This season, I started having issues with the thumb shifter not returning to normal position after pressing. Its gotten worse and now about half my shifts get stuck. Is this purely the return spring in the shifter, or is the cable and derailleur involved?

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
One of my bikes has a SRAM Rival setup. 2 years ago the right shifter broke. Based on some recommendations here I installed a Campy Veloce shifter and that worked beautifully. This season, I started having issues with the thumb shifter not returning to normal position after pressing. Its gotten worse and now about half my shifts get stuck. Is this purely the return spring in the shifter, or is the cable and derailleur involved?
Could be high friction in the cables/housing, a failed spring, or maybe just a gunked-up shifter mechanism (it's not at all likely to be the derailleur). First and easiest thing to try is to sluice the shifter mechanism with WD-40 while working through the shifts. That may free things up. If it does, then be sure to add some lube after the flushing. If that doesn't help then try replacing the cable/housing. If those two don't work then you're probably looking at a shifter overhaul (assuming that shifter has replacement parts available) or replacement.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be high friction in the cables/housing, a failed spring, or maybe just a gunked-up shifter mechanism (it's not at all likely to be the derailleur). First and easiest thing to try is to sluice the shifter mechanism with WD-40 while working through the shifts. That may free things up. If it does, then be sure to add some lube after the flushing. If that doesn't help then try replacing the cable/housing. If those two don't work then you're probably looking at a shifter overhaul (assuming that shifter has replacement parts available) or replacement.
Thanks for the input. Here is what I have tried so far. I squirted a bunch of Boeshield into the area with the thumbshifter. I cleaned up the cable, used a little lube and completely cleaned the BB guide. When I push down the button it seem to have about the same tension as the left lever. I tried adding tension and relieving tension on the cable with my fingers with no effect. The cable is not released until the button comes back up and that was not occurring. After all that it is slightly better but still sticking about 25% of the time. For some reason it seems more likely to stick when in the larger cogs. With new Powershift levers there is really nothing that can be repaired (my understanding). You just replace the whole body. I may try a WD-40 hose-down and see what that does

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,933 Posts
The pivot on the thumb lever is likely corroded. If you look into the lever from the thumb button, you'll see the pivot. If it's corroded, spray it with some oil to work it loose several times, then I recommend lubing it with Nickel anti-seize or something similar, just don't get it near anything your hands are going to touch...

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
One of my bikes has a SRAM Rival setup. 2 years ago the right shifter broke. Based on some recommendations here I installed a Campy Veloce shifter and that worked beautifully.
Campy shifter has no issues when mated with Sram derailleur and cassette?

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Campy shifter has no issues when mated with Sram derailleur and cassette?
No issues with 10s at least. After I broke my double-tap shifter I posted here. Someone pointed me to an article that Lennard Zinn had written about using this setup. He stated that the cable throw is nearly identical for Campy and SRAM 10s shifters. Being a Campy guy this appealed to me. Anyway I was very happy with the setup until I stared having problems

Here is a link to the Zinn article

Can you run Campy shifters with a SRAM drivetrain? Sure, why not? - VeloNews.com

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,425 Posts
Have you checked to see if the cable run under the bottom bracket shell is gunked up with dried out sports drink???

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you checked to see if the cable run under the bottom bracket shell is gunked up with dried out sports drink???
Yes, I thoroughly cleaned the BB cable guide. You could eat off of it now. Anyway I am now convinced the cable is not a factor. The way the Campy levers work is cable does not move until the thumbshifter comes back up. I tried both adding and reducing cable tension and it had no effect. I will try DrSmile's approach when I get a chance

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
follow-up

I took another look at it today. I set up some better lighting so I could try to see into the shifter and look for corrosion as DrSmile suggested. I could not really see well enough to make any conclusion. I could see the spring and it looked clean. Anyway, I used a precision oiling "pen" with some motor oil and tried to lube where I expected to pivot to be. Worked it in a bit and did lots of shifts. It now seems to be working OK. Perhaps the Boeshield I sprayed in before helped or maybe it was the oil. I will take if for a ride tomorrow and see how it goes

1 - 9 of 9 Posts