Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
852 Posts
I used to ride a lot, campy then sram. I had the first sram stuff. Anyway was injured for years and I'm back and the new stuff is really quiet but.. what the hell is with the thing hanging off my front derailleur. I heard its to align the chain but that doesn't make sense to me. So far it's been a huge pain and I've gotten my chain stuck behind it a couple times: once while riding and the other times because I'll dislodge the chain from the chainring by hand when I go into a store so it's harder to steal. Normally I can just shift to the big ring from this position tand connect the chain but not with this hanging thing. Now it's bent forward from my attempts but still the shifting is fine and the same. I'd like to just remove it since in my mind it does nothing.

·
Registered
20,790 Posts
I heard its to align the chain but that doesn't make sense to me.
It's a chain catcher. It's meant to keep your chain from dropping off the chaining. They work AWESOME.

So far it's been a huge pain and I've gotten my chain stuck behind it a couple times
Then it wasn't set up correctly.

other times because I'll dislodge the chain from the chainring by hand when I go into a store so it's harder to steal.
Don't do that. It defeats the purpose of the chain catcher.

P.S. Spam/advertising is against forum rules. Don't do it.

·
Administrator
13,010 Posts
Modified- advertising removed, thanks for your understanding.

·
Banned
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I never had a problem dropping my chain before I got this thing and don't feel a need for it. Can it be easily removed? I thought it was the yaw chain alignment thing.

·
Banned
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd think a well set up bike wouldn't need a chain catcher. And in the rare time when it does drop, past the chain catcher, which I've seen happen to others as well, then it's stuck and you can't just shift to the big ring and pull it up

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'd think a well set up bike wouldn't need a chain catcher. And in the rare time when it does drop, past the chain catcher, which I've seen happen to others as well, then it's stuck and you can't just shift to the big ring and pull it up
Like was stated before, if it's setup correctly the chain won't drop past the catcher. That's the only reason it's on there. If you don't want to take the time to set it up correctly, then take it off. But it will take longer to take it off, than to just set it correctly.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Sure, chain catchers aren't needed for a properly adjusted bike, but if you somehow drop the chain, you could cause serious structural damage and possibly ruin a CF frame.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
in a rough and tumble bike race on rough roads ... the risk of chain coming off gets substantial, and I am sure we've all seen it happen in races. So the chain catcher thingmerbob is a good thing.

though I am dearly looking forward to just having 1x12sp system on all my bikes some day. Just love 1x11 on my mtn bike - who knew 20 years ago we didn't need 21 speeds on mtn bike, LOL. an example of bike maker innovation that actually saves the enthusiast money and reduces complexity/mech risk.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
This thing is there to keep the chain from dropping down onto the bottom bracket and possibly damaging something very expensive!

If you bike is set up perfectly, and you aren't inclined to ride on rough roads and pedal over speedbumps, you *might* be ok without it.

However, from your few posts here, it doesn't sound like you are an adept mechanic, and so, it seems you might be exactly who this chain catcher was intended for.

You can remove it, but you are risking damage if your chain drops.

·
Banned
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm definately thinking there are a lot of suckers out there. Next they'll sell a derailleur that has fixed the problem and chains now don't fall off. I've been down many bumpy roads and never had chains coming off. When it does come off, normally, simply, I could just shift to the big ring and voila.

I've had many carbon frames. Trek, Ridley, Planet X, and 2 carbon frames from China. I've never damaged a frame from a dropped chain or heard of it happening.
Actually I'm mechanically adept , it's my job to be, but I'm not a pro bike mechanic anymore. I was back when chain catchers were not a thought by anyone. That was like forever until now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts