Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Who's got the worst reputation in the public's eye?

• Skateboarders

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • Cyclists

Votes: 7 33.3%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I liek poales.

But for srs...

I got thinking while I was riding my bike today that I"ve gotten WAY more **** from bystanders about riding my bike than I ever have on a skateboard. So, I'm kinda wondering what my fellow SnB'ers have to say on teh topic. Simply put, who's got the worst reputation: Guys on bicycles or guys on skateboards? All bikes, I'm talking fixies, MTB's, dirt jumpers, BMX'ers, Lance wannabes, drunkards with no drivers licenses, IOB's, Freds, poseurs, hipsters, wannabes, etc. All skateboards as well...longboards, shortboards, flipkickers, nitpickers, frat bros, surf boys, hipsters, hippies, carvers, bombers, grinders, sliders, shredders, et al.

WAIT FOR POALE!

also, this would probably fit in "general" better, since it is about how the public views cyclists...and there's not beetz or H&B in the poale.

also also, furst!

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
huh??

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tomk96 said:
Just some musings about my experience on public roads with bikes versus skateboards. I've gotten MUCH more flak on my bike than I ever have skateboarding, longboarding, or whatever. I've gotten the cops called on me 1 time on a skateboard, as well as a couple times where idiots in cars shout at me. I've had many more incidents on a bike with people yelling at me to get on the sidewalk (or get off the sidewalk), or people honking at me, flipping me the bird, yelling at me (roadie ***!). So, I'm just curious as to what everyone else thinks.

I did post this in a skateboard forum, just to get some varied results and compare 'em.

·
Noob as per thread 227982
162 Posts
Skaters are just kids who don't have anything better to do.

Cyclists are mature adults who should know better than to commit the unforgiveable offense of getting in my way while I'm heading to the McDonalds drive thru.

·
just ride your bike
518 Posts
w4nd3r said:
Skaters are just kids who don't have anything better to do.

Cyclists are mature adults who should know better than to commit the unforgiveable offense of getting in my way while I'm heading to the McDonalds drive thru.
This.

And while we're on the skateboarding subject, why do the skaters nowadays, even the pros, wear those skinny emo jeans? How do they move? I remember wearing baggies back in the day so you could actually bend your legs.

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
desurfer said:
This.

And while we're on the skateboarding subject, why do the skaters nowadays, even the pros, wear those skinny emo jeans? How do they move? I remember wearing baggies back in the day so you could actually bend your legs.
There was something about how big, baggy pants could get wrapped around the skateboard wheels and mess you up something fierce. So, they made the pants as tight as possible to avoid it.

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
q. what's the most difficult thing about being an adult skateboarder?

a. admitting to your parents that you are gay.

·
just ride your bike
518 Posts
old_fuji said:
There was something about how big, baggy pants could get wrapped around the skateboard wheels and mess you up something fierce. So, they made the pants as tight as possible to avoid it.
I wore jeans that were a happy compromise between the ridiculous JNCO jeans (remember those?) and essentially a denim leotard!

·
Custom User Title
760 Posts
desurfer said:
I wore jeans that were a happy compromise between the ridiculous JNCO jeans (remember those?) and essentially a denim leotard!
That was, thankfully, after my time as a skater.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
PlasticMotif said:
skaters aren't the ones running around in spandex with shaved legs.
Nope, that'd be my stepcousin Quimbly when he's wearing his mom's dresses and pumps.

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now to post a bit of a clarification...The poll was meant to be the perception of both groups in YOUR neck of the woods.

·
Proud luddite
7,192 Posts
terry b said:
Skateboarders are criminals. 100% of them. No question. Known fact. Indisputable.

Cyclists, not so much.
They are also hooligans, ne'erdowells, scoundrels and ruffians!

·
9,790 Posts
When I was the manager of a shop in Indy that sold both bikes and skateboards, we were broken into. (4 times total for this store according to the legacy employee) Front window was broken out ($500+) and the only things stolen were skateboards, decks, trucks, and wheels. The cash and $5000 bikes were ignored. The previous 3 times were identical, according to Chris.

I voted skateboard-trash.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,420 Posts
In honor of my idols, I've decided to "juice up" for all my races, next year, but because I'm sort of a "retro guy", I've decided to limit my intake to amphetamines.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts