Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dumb question time. Hopefully I'm overlooking something easy enough.

I got a new Salsa Casseroll delivered today. It's my 1st SS and the chain is off the bike and unbroken. Will I need a chain tool to break the chain and loop it around the chainring & freewheel?

I ask because I can't seem to get the chainline straight, or get it on without it hitting the chainstay.

·
Cumudgitude
711 Posts
If that is a powerlink chain there won't be a split link. Instead it will be a different color, and perhaps a tiny bit thicker than its neighbors. To break a powerlink you actually flex the chain around the link. Start by facing the colored plate toward you, hold the chain on either side of the colored link, press away from yourself with your thumbs while rotating your pinky finders toward yourself. The idea is to create enough flex that the gold plate can slip off. The plate stays in place when the chain is straight because there's enough tension created by the pins it sets on, so you're trying to remove that tension.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.