Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been racing SS cross for a good 6 years now and have been thinking I'd like to find a frame that fits a bit better than what I have. I'm hoping those in the know here can make some suggestions.

I'd prefer not to go custom, simply due to cost. I'd like the frame to take cantis and would prefer steel and horizontal drop outs.

I've looked at IRO and Surly, both are ok, was hoping for something just a bit nicer. The Bianchi has discs, which I don't want to do. Let me know if you are aware of others out there, having a hard time finding much.

Thanks!!

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
San Jose?

Personally, I'd go with the nice geared frame of my choice and a Soulcraft Convert. The only thing I would choose over that is a custom with sliding drops. "Clean" looks are not worth towing a porky steel commuter around the course when you could have a real race bike.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
one_speed said:
I'd prefer not to go custom, simply due to cost. I'd like the frame to take cantis and would prefer steel and horizontal drop outs.

Thanks!!
Horizontal ends and cantis are a bit of a mis match. Everytime you chnge the chainline length the chances are you will have to re set your brakes. Same with ENO ecentric hub.
How about just a CC frame with a tensioner. No fuss on chainline and works pretty much fool proof. Finally its cheaper than the other options and you can throw on a deraillieur any time you want for a geared racer.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
justinb said:
What's so limiting about the eccentric hub? Can't it be laced to any rim you like?
Sure.

But it is expensive and is only worth using in conjunction with a similarly expensive FW.

Its bolt-on only.

The tension setting is nothing I enjoy hassling with when changing a wheel mid-race.

I like WI and own three ENO Ecc. rear wheels. After two seasons of racing with a couple unfortunate mechanicals which were flukey but cost me good placings I ditched the Ecc. axle ends and started running a Soulcraft Convert. Not a single issue since. Then I started buying used tubular wheelsets on eBay for less than one ENO hub and that was that. QRs!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kiwisimon said:
Horizontal ends and cantis are a bit of a mis match. Everytime you chnge the chainline length the chances are you will have to re set your brakes.
well, i wouldn't say it's a mismatch. i've been doing it for years with cantis on my cross bike and v-brakes on my mtbs. only takes a minute, not a bit deal. i don't change gears out for cross too much anyway.

with that, i have considered that option. i'm not big of using a converter. part of what i like about SS is it's simple and the chain runs a very clean line.

anyway, i do appreciate the thoughts. have read about the bianchi roger a bit, an interesting bike. with that, not sure about the disc option. plus, i wonder how that would be at UCI races. i know it's not UCI legal, and i'd be racing either masters or Bs at those events. anyone know if it would be an issue? not my first choice, but a choice none-the-less.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.