Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for the mechanically inclined: what should I look for in a SS cross wheelset? Is a freewheel best or a freehub with a cog and spacers? Nothing high tech needed; just clinchers for riding around aimlessly. Thanks for any tips.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've had good luck with both freewheel and cassette, don't have a preference. Cassette is nice because I can swap the wheels between bikes. White Industries freewheels are pretty much indestructable.

I bought a set with XT hubs and Salsa Delgado Cross rims and have yet to hurt them. Machine built, so they needed attention at first, and re-spacing to 130, but beyond that they've been great.

A flip flop hub is great if you want the fixie option, and a freewheel. If you run narrow tires (30) I'd look for the strongest rim you can find. I've killed some nice wheels running light rims and skinny tires. Alex makes some inexpensive SS wheels that in my experience have been really durable.

-B

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.