Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What gearing do you use? I'm considering using my old fixie/frankenbike as a pit bike. I can flip the hub around and put a freehub on it. Right now I have a 42x17 and I KNOW that's too high a gear. I'm thinking a 39x18 or 19 might work. What do you run?

·
dog is my copilot
137 Posts
Last year my out of shape legs turned a 38x18 for Cross Crusade and it worked pretty most of the time. Same gear this season but hopefully turning it a little more efficiently than last year.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But I'm not the stud that you are:p

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
I've been out-run by racers on bigger and smaller gears, and pedaled away from racers with fully geared bikes. Its really about the gear that matches your style of riding. What you lose in the long straights you may gain on short sections between accelerations, or vice versa.

I've tried 39, 41 and 44Ts and it didn't seem to make much of a difference, FWIW.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm thinking that the 39:18 would be Ok. No matter what it will be, it's better than DNFing.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Straights are the only place I make time:p. That, and going downhill.

·
Registered
25 Posts
44x18. I'm no stud but just figured how to stay on top of the gear and of course that took some head butting with myself. Flats, corners and hills all seem to even out in the end. I'm switching to gears also but I just wish I was a go getter like Travis Brown and would just race single speed not matter the class. I know their is going to be that race with peanut butter mud that is gonna want to rip off the my derailur and a single speeder is gonna ride by smiling.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Running makes me even more tirederererer....

·
Registered
139 Posts
I ran either 39x17 or 38x18 at most races (same chain length) depending if it was fast/dry or steep/muddy. For the oregon races it worked out well - 7 wins, a 2nd and a 4th at worlds. In most races I had a lower gear than the guys right behind me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.