Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, first question, bit vague... I ride a SS mountain bike and a friend is trying to convince me to get a road bike, I've never riden a road bike. Thought a fixie road bike might be the way to go for a bit of fun. But I was wondering if it is any big advantage over the mountain bike?

I currently run 32:16 gearing with the 26" wheels (180mm cranks) which is for off road use, but if I put 44:16 and slick tyres I should be able to keep up with road bikes?

I've looked at the gear inches/gain ratio and can get similar figures but will it translate to similar speed on the road?

Any thoughts/advice appreciated.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
smc said:
Hi all, first question, bit vague... I ride a SS mountain bike and a friend is trying to convince me to get a road bike, I've never riden a road bike. Thought a fixie road bike might be the way to go for a bit of fun. But I was wondering if it is any big advantage over the mountain bike?

I currently run 32:16 gearing with the 26" wheels (180mm cranks) which is for off road use, but if I put 44:16 and slick tyres I should be able to keep up with road bikes?

I've looked at the gear inches/gain ratio and can get similar figures but will it translate to similar speed on the road?

Edited response:

For the road fixie, you will probably want gear inches in the low 70s, which a 44 X 16 will achieve, but that might be a little light for a 26" bike that coasts. Whether you can hang on a road ride depends on terrain, speed, and distance, as well as the fitness of the other riders.

Fixed gear bikes are indeed a lot of fun, and as a SS mountain biker, it's a natural progression. But it's probably not the ideal tool for the job of hanging with a fast paceline on an extended road ride. It can be done (and has been done by many), but I'm not sure this would be the ideal introduction to road riding. Nor would riding a SS mountain bike with slicks and a big gear; again, it CAN be done, but probably wouldn't be the best way to do it.

Maybe look iinto a Bianchi San Jose, which is a singlespeed road/cross bike that can be modified with a flipflop hub for fixed gear/freewheel use. Or borrow someone's geared bike and see how you fare with the road group on a couple of rides before you commit.

Good luck!

·
Registered
105 Posts
its not just gears..the real big difference is the tires.. your rims are more than likely rather heavy and wide compared to a road bike i think that would be a big difference..

but if you get a wheel set to keep up for road use (keep in mind the hubs may have different spacing) you would also do well to ride shorter cranks on a fixed gear, because when going around corners on a ss you can make the cranks go parallel to the ground.. on a fixie, you have to pedal through it.. this includes putting your foot on the inside of the turn to the bottom of its revolution.. and with 180 mm cranks.. you seem rather likely to scrape concrete with them..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.