Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new project, a single speed bike. what I have now is the following, and I like everyone's help how to complete this in the most sensible way.

I already have:
- RIH Mistral frame (dutch classic, 531 butted frame tubes)
- it has 126 mm rear spacing
- horizontal dropouts with adj. screws
- mudguard eyes! (but racing clearance!)
- set of wheels (Sunshine hubs, 1978) for screw on freewheels, for 126 spacing
- Campa Record double chainset (1996) or Dura Ace (1978)
- 5 spacer rings to be able to leave the inner chainring out of the equation (from my TT days)
- two brakes and levers will be used

What will I need next:
- SS freewheel: what about spacing to get a correct chainline
- what about type of chain? can I still use the old 7/8 speed chain with the freewheel?
- what about chain tension

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Frederik

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
t5rguy said:
My new project, a single speed bike. what I have now is the following, and I like everyone's help how to complete this in the most sensible way.

I already have:
- RIH Mistral frame (dutch classic, 531 butted frame tubes)
- it has 126 mm rear spacing
- horizontal dropouts with adj. screws
- mudguard eyes! (but racing clearance!)
- set of wheels (Sunshine hubs, 1978) for screw on freewheels, for 126 spacing
- Campa Record double chainset (1996) or Dura Ace (1978)
- 5 spacer rings to be able to leave the inner chainring out of the equation (from my TT days)
- two brakes and levers will be used

What will I need next:
- SS freewheel: what about spacing to get a correct chainline
- what about type of chain? can I still use the old 7/8 speed chain with the freewheel?
- what about chain tension

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Frederik
It sounds like all you need is is the BMX freewheel

The wheel can easily be redished to center the hub flanges. Check www.sheldonbrown.com. It's possible you can get the correct chainline by using the wheels as it is and the inside chainring but it every bike/frame is different so until you try it, you won't know for sure.

Your 7/8 speed chain will work great with the freewheel.

I don't like a super tight chain. I'll carry about 1/4 to 1/2" of slack. The freewheels teeth are longer than a normal cog and the chain stays on just fine. . I rode over 4500 miles last year on single speed bikes and never had an issue the with chain coming off....

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
re: SS, chainline

I'd also remove the dropout adjusting screws as they are not really helpful on a SS/FG bike, and you will have more adjustment range without them. There is some great info on chainline at http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chainline/ FWIW my frame and wheel setup is similar to yours, and I had to use the inner position AND spacers to get the chainline right, but as Dave said every bike is a little different....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts