Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
just got it from joe last friday. it is quick and handles perfect, i cannot wait for the leaves to turn!! after i get some tubbies glued on, it will see a couple of MTB races in august (non technical races) sorry if the pic is crappy. 16lbs 5 oz....

see ya

rick

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
Gearing?

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
Must be nice to not have to worry about mechanicals in 'cross quite as much.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Pet peeve: I don't care if it's a camera phone, at least get a better background. You went to the trouble of uploading it and posting it here, but you couldn't be arsed to move it in front of your hedges to shoot the photo?

P.S. The bike is tits.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Pablo said:
Must be nice to not have to worry about mechanicals in 'cross quite as much.
My worst mechanical in a race was on a singlespeed, the chain came off and lodged between the BB and crank. I was ready to pack it in, but a nice guy spent about five minutes yanking at it until it finally came free.

IIRC the rear hub was loose, and the incident happened on a rocky descent. Lesson learned: Do a very close check of your bike the day before the race, even if your drivetrain is "fool-proof".

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
PeanutButterBreath said:
Track ends + chain tug + rear wheel change = :mad2:, IME. Though in three years of racing SS it never came up during a race.
I don't race cross, so I don't pretend to know, but it seems like every race report I hear involves an f'ed up derailler.

·
Registered
41 Posts
pretender said:
My worst mechanical in a race was on a singlespeed, the chain came off and lodged between the BB and crank. I was ready to pack it in, but a nice guy spent about five minutes yanking at it until it finally came free.

IIRC the rear hub was loose, and the incident happened on a rocky descent. Lesson learned: Do a very close check of your bike the day before the race, even if your drivetrain is "fool-proof".
I race mountain bikes and all my worst drivetrain mechanicals have been on the singlespeed (which I now race exclusively). I think the sheer force which goes through a one cog drivetrain during a race seems to make you pay for any weakness in your setup.

In my singlespeed evangelism I am always careful not to tout reliability as one of the reasons to shed your gears. Simplicity, coolness, flow, etc..yes. Reliability, not so much.

The new bike looks extremely fast by the way.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
specs

here they are, HTA=71 STA=74.5 TT=52cm ST=47.9cm HTL=12cm on my blueprint he gave me the CS and BB drop were not on it, so there you go!

flanman said:
How's about posting the dimensions?

STA, CS length, HTA, TT length, TT slope, HT length, BB drop. Give us the lot. Joe should have given you all the details.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
crosser said:
I race mountain bikes and all my worst drivetrain mechanicals have been on the singlespeed (which I now race exclusively). I think the sheer force which goes through a one cog drivetrain during a race seems to make you pay for any weakness in your setup.

In my singlespeed evangelism I am always careful not to tout reliability as one of the reasons to shed your gears. Simplicity, coolness, flow, etc..yes. Reliability, not so much.

The new bike looks extremely fast by the way.
what kind of reliability issues did you have? I was on a karate monkey for about 5 seasons and seldom had issues. I even built it up which begs problems! Never had a problem losing the chain. And in those 5 years went through 3 freewheels and a rear hub. A couple rims were trashed in the process but that has nothing to do with the gearing...

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
I've seldom had issues in the last 5 years of riding SS CX and MTB.

But if you go to the MTBR SS board there are plenty of people breaking chains, folding chainrings, and wearing out both far too quickly. Every chain tensioning method has its fans and its bitter foes. Good chainline always seems to evade a few people, which compounds all of the above.

I think the point is not that SS is not reliable or can't be much more reliable than riding with gears, but that YMMV based on a few factors. Given all of the above, I agree that selling SS to the unsuspecting as a foolproof, bulletproof alternative is not realistic.

·
Registered
41 Posts
PeanutButterBreath said:
I've seldom had issues in the last 5 years of riding SS CX and MTB.

But if you go to the MTBR SS board there are plenty of people breaking chains, folding chainrings, and wearing out both far too quickly. Every chain tensioning method has its fans and its bitter foes. Good chainline always seems to evade a few people, which compounds all of the above.

I think the point is not that SS is not reliable or can't be much more reliable than riding with gears, but that YMMV based on a few factors. Given all of the above, I agree that selling SS to the unsuspecting as a foolproof, bulletproof alternative is not realistic.
You're right and I have had very few drivetrain issues since switching to a dedicated singlespeed with an EBB (I have been cracking frames with alarming frequency lately -- two in five weeks -- but that is another issue). The biggest problem I had in the past was on a bodged up SS with a spring loaded tensioner. Also broken chains and shredded cogs. The key to happy singlespeeding is indeed good chainline, a reliable tensioning system, and the use of proper SS cogs and chainrings.

The point is not that a SS can't be set up to be reliable, but that you're putting so much force (on a good day...) through the drivetrain that any weakness, such as a mismatched quick link in the chain, bad chainline or a stupidly light alloy cog, will very likely come back to bite you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.