Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Felt breed which has 135mm rear spacing and I want to run a set of Tubbies for this season.

I'm happy to buy a new hub, but what do you guys recommend for 135mm with solid axle and nuts?

Also what spoke hole options are available? I have a 28 and a 32h tubular rim just waiting to be laced up!

Thanks

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
88 rex said:
Do you want short cassette (SS style), long cassette (normal 9 speed) or screw-on? Budget? Does it matter if it has tabs for disc?

There's really A LOT of options.
Thanks, I had no idea there were lots of options.

Would like to keep it cheapish, as the wheels are for race only (6 times per year)

Not fussed about disk holes. Although I thought mtb rear hub was kinda overkill for my needs.

Dreww

·
Thom H
225 Posts
My order would be (money no Object)
Chris King
Phil Wood
Paul and White about even not far behind
Surly best for lest $ wise

The King is nice because you can change chainline so fast by adjusting the spacers.

The Phil is heavy, pretty bombproof but needs screw on freewheel.

·
Iohannes fac totum
3,151 Posts
Thom H said:
My order would be (money no Object)
Chris King
Phil Wood
Paul and White about even not far behind
Surly best for lest $ wise

The King is nice because you can change chainline so fast by adjusting the spacers.

The Phil is heavy, pretty bombproof but needs screw on freewheel.
If King is an option then I would find it hard to not look at Hope SS, DT Swiss SS, and Hadley SS hubs. All of which are short cassette types for easy chainline adjustment. You'd have disc flanges though on all of those, but no one would ever know or care

I personally have the Hope SS hub on my MTB (although I occassionaly add 6 gears to it), and love it. It's got a distinctively loud tune to it, but I enjoy it. Nothing really wrong with any of the mentioned hubs in this thread...........lots of good options.:)

·
Thom H
225 Posts
I only listed the ones I have on my bikes. I don't like to give opinions on things that I have not tested. I am going to buy another set of Kings this year, cause I like em.

·
Registered
11 Posts
OnTheRivet said:
White ENO. White Industries are the nicest hubs I've ever owned.

http://www.speedgoat.com/Catalog.aspx/Browse?Prod=13750
^^^
Best advice for those wanting to use screw-on freewheels. The White hubs have a narrower chainline (~47mm) than the other SS-specific hubs. White was smart to do this as it makes the hub more useable between road and MTB SS crank setups...not to mention to use with the proprietary White Ind. cranks, which are lower profile than the modern norm.

Phils, Pauls, and Surlys all put you at 51-54mm chainlines which doesn't jive as well with with traditional cross crank choices. You can make it work with a wider BB spindle, but at the cost of reasonably low Q-factor if you're using said traditional crank choices.

High quality SS cassette hubs with a wide base cog will do the trick too. Pick your brand as they're all pretty nice.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm happy with my XT rim hub with spacer kit. Easy to get the perfect chain line, and a lot less expensive than anything else, plus, if you want to run two cogs side by side, it's easy to do.

·
Iohannes fac totum
3,151 Posts
deuxdiesel said:
I'm happy with my XT rim hub with spacer kit. Easy to get the perfect chain line, and a lot less expensive than anything else, plus, if you want to run two cogs side by side, it's easy to do.

Man, I've had horrible luck with the XT hubs. For some reason mine would really loosen up. Mine were on my CX bike, but I've recently switched to a SRAM X9 (lighter, cheaper, AND cartridge bearings). So far it's been smooth sailing, but time will be the ultimate judge.

·
old school drop out
1,578 Posts
I've been using American Classic SS hubs (entire wheelset actually) for several years on my mountain bike. They're spaced at 135mm. Am Classic currently own lists the disc version on their site, but I have the rim-brake version. For weight they're hard to beat, and the bolt on rear hubs has sharp teeth that grip the frame really well and prevent the wheel from sliding. The only draw back is that the freehub is aluminum which means that you use use cogs with wide flanges to avoid damaging the body.

·
Iohannes fac totum
3,151 Posts
deuxdiesel said:
Does SRAM make a rim brake X9 hub? I know you can use a disc version of any hub, but aesthetically, I prefer not to use one.

Unfortunately no. Aesthetically you'd be stuck with the little flanges. I would also like to see SRAM take their hub line a little further and offer something on par with Shimano's road line-up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dt 240 Ss?

I think a DT 240 singlesped hub would work great. It can be used with QR or bolt on, is light, allows chainline adjustment, and the centerlock disc mount has a cap to keep it looking clean if not using it. Either 18 or 36 point engagement options too.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Another vote for the WI hub and freewheel. While my current 'cross bike is geared, I've been running the WI setup on my SS MTB for 3 years now. Everything still spins perfectly smooth (I have a set of spare bearings still sitting in my toolbox because the originals are still going strong).

·
Registered
510 Posts
man, that stuff needs some mud on it :)

Seriously, are that many guys running bolt on? If you're racing wouldn't this be kind of a detriment, as it means if you puncture, your race is pretty much over? I guess you could keep a wrench in your pit area, but wheel changes would not be too quick.

I've never had problems using skewers on my SS for cross.

Thoughts?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts