Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is really annoying. I have a busted right brake/shifter controller but can't seem to find the spare part I need anywhere. Does anyone know where these parts are to be had????

thanks for any help,
steve

PS The fault is a broken internal return spring (for the cable take-up barrel not the hand lever) which causes the gears to not change up more than one cog. I thing the spring broke because the control was frozen after a flash-freeze when I tried to operate it - the spring is such a delicate little thing.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Warranty?

Shifters are generally sold in pairs, not individually, but anything is possible.
If the shifter is fairly new try to get it replaced under warranty.
~Al

·
Kant phuckin sphell
650 Posts
Your hardware store should have the part you are looking 4

It is WD-40-ORURSCREWED.
Whada think this is Campy!
I was looking for a Bic pen spring the other day, it seems to be locked up. Went to the store and all they had were cross pen refills!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
shimano don't do spares cause we are too thick to fit them? BS

thanks for the advice guys - no longer under warranty and not even wd 90 will fix a broken spring - the action is smooth all round so no probs in that department.

i tried local bike shop with no joy,ll try hardware stores thanks. currently disposed trying to fashion a similar part from the spring from a clothes peg...wish me luck!

steve

·
Kant phuckin sphell
650 Posts
Thats going to be hard!

Getting the tension right is going to be tricky! You would be better off throwing a friction shifter on the down tube.
I often wonder why Shimano does not offer a kit.
If I were you I would think hard about investing is a quality product like campy!
If you are stuck on Shimano and want to save money check out ebay.
I see single shifters there all the time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for that bull, have thought about a downtube shifter.

I reckon there are no spare parts offered for 2 reasons:
first it means we are stuck buying an expensive total replacement rather than a v cheap part = far greater turnover for Shimano. secondly the bike shops are going to get more buisness if shimano don't deal directly with customers. i guess it means Shimano are offering a bit of supplyer 'loyalty' to the shops - promising not to cut them out from a potential spare parts trade.

For both scenarios we are the loosers and it must be fair to say Shimano are cynically taking their customers for a ride..so to speak. I'd find that a deal funnier if I wasn't looking to be so out of pocket over a little bit of twisted wire grrrrrrrrr

cheers,
steve
presently cutting up the tarmac on a girls moutain bike - oh the humiliation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts