Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I'm moving to St. Louis, MO in a couple months. We're currently looking at condos in the Central West End area.

In general how safe (living) is this area?
Is it easy to access biking routes from here?

We need to be near Barnes-Jewish Hospital for my wife.

Thanks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
STL is a great town. If you are a racer, the racing is getting better every year. This year, we have a packed schedule.

As far as the CWE, one of the best places to live if you are living in the city. Unfortunately, I do know one person who had their car stolen and know someone else that did get mugged. Don't want to scare you, it is an awesome area with great food/nightlife but it is CWE does have good and not so good parts. I'm not a big fan of walking alone in any area in the city. Again, if I had to pick the place to live in the city it would be CWE f/b the Loop/U-city and Washington Ave. If I had a family (kids) I would pick Holly Hills.

Bike routes in the city are present but I am unsure where they are near CWE, I live in the county. The metrolink is awesome and a lot of people use that with their bikes.

You will get crickets on this site so let me give you the local STL bike website. Post the same question and you will get a lot of response.

stlbiking.com

Go to message board and at the top is "ROAD". If you are a racer, lower is "RACING".

·
Registered
84 Posts
Born and raised in Clayton/U-city and now live in Brentwood. The wife and I have been looking to buy a new house in the CWE in the near future. Great location. Great biking scene. Lotsa good LBS's. If you're the volunteering type check out BicycleWORKS and/or Will Cycle for Charity (both have dot com's).

The CWE is basically mid town. Its definitely urban riding. It is a bit of a hike from any "country" roads. +/-4 or 5mi West on city streets and you're in Clayton/U-city. A little further into Ladue and there are peaceful winding side roads lined with posh homes and golf courses. Even the additional +/-17mi from there to Babler state park is moderately congested suburban traffic. Once out in Wildwood you'll find populated country roads. St.L is unique in that there is zero separation between its city core and suburbs. Forest Park is great and close to the CWE when you want to get in a good ride and are crunched for time. Its got the same thing goin on that Central Park in NYC has being right smack in the middle of the city ... sept its bigger. There are great roads East of East St.L. The MCT has several routes marked and the ride to Alton/Piere Marquette is cool no matter which route you take.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts