Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will soon be relocating to take a job in Des Peres, MO. The wife thinks she wants to live in the area west of Des Peres. I hope to be able to continue to be a bike commuter, can anyone provide info on Hwy 100 west through Manchester, Ballwin, Ellisville? If bikes are not allowed is there a viable alternative? What are the drivers like? I am coming from Santa Cruz, CA which is extremely bike friendly.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Manchester Road

You're talking about Manchester Road which is not bike friendly at all. Clayton road is roughly parallel and would be a much better choice.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Welcome to the area! St. Louis County is a pretty good area expecially in the far west regions. You can ride down Hwy 100 (known as Manchester Road) but I don't think you'll want to through Manchester/Ballwin/Ellisville. It is strip mall hell. There is relatively heavy traffic all day and not much for shoulders. BUT there are other alternative routes you can take that are more bike friendly such as Clayton Road. That is one of the main east/west corridors for cyclists. I'd need to know where you are living to give you exact routes but for general riding you need to go west of Clarkson Road on Clayton for the really good riding.

As with any area you will have jack-off drivers but I really have never had too many problems. You just need to ride smart and avoid certain situations. Luckily, cyclists are so common in the Wildwood area that most drivers are pretty cool.

Check out the http://www.stlbiking.com/ for more info on the area. You can also send me an email and maybe we can ride sometime: [email protected]

Again, welcome to St. Louis.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wildwood to Des Peres

Thanks Spoke Wrench & Max Q. We don't know where we will live; but just for giggles, what would be the best route from Wildwood to Des Peres?

·
Registered
286 Posts
It's a little tough but I would have to say something like (this may be more Town and Country but it's close) Mason Road to Clayton Road then west to Hwy 109. Get off 109 ASAP by turning onto BA then enjoy an awesome riding environment. Make sure to check out Babler Park while you are on BA.

·
Unlabeled
3,720 Posts
I frequently ride in Wildwood and Des Peres

It's great riding on Sunday mornings until about 11:00 and Saturdays until about 9:00. I have doubts about the sanity of anyone who would try to commute in this area on weekday rush hours. Out west in Wildwood you have narrow country roads carrying too many cars. Going through Ellisville, Ballwin, Manchester, and Des Peres you'll be dealing with heavy traffic with High School students driving to school, people in a rush to work talking on cell phones, school buses, and delivery trucks. Don't be fooled by the "share the road" signs. These are lousy places to ride during rush hour. Clayton road is less lousy than Rte 100/ Manchester, but it is still very bad.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
St. Louis area

Thanks for the caution. How about Oak Road and Big Bend Road? Big Bend to Barrett Station will get me close to work on Manchester Road. Are there no bike lanes or decently wide shoulders? I do worry about teenage drivers, Mom's in SUVs with kids and everyone with a cell phone. That's nearly everybody in a car these days, isn't it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts