Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm down in Florida on vacation this week..... Yesterday I went over to Mulberry and rode with follow RBRer Gutfiddle... Today I headed out and did about 60 miles around the gulf beach and St Petersburg....

I've ridden all over the country and Caribbean and St Petersburg ranks in my top 5 for cycling friendly cities....There are bike lanes everywhere and the Pinellas trail is outstanding..... I was very pleasantly surprised.....

Here are some pics

·
Registered
766 Posts
That's nice Dave.... very pretty, and it is hot as heck here, but a little cooler today in DFW, a cool front came thru so it only made it to 95 or so.

Enjoy the beach while you can!

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
I spent five weeks in Pensacola going to officer school back in 2000. It wasn't OCS, it was more like a bad convention with lots of time off. I took a road bike with the goal of getting 1000 miles in five weeks and ended up with almost 1400. It was really flat, hot, and muggy but the area cyclists were nice. They had a tuesday/thursday ride that was a cutthroat sprint fest that usually ended up with a 25+ mph average. I usually felt woozy after the ride.

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
love the thundercloud shots, can't wait to get to Anna Maria this weekend. Next time ur in the Sunshine State I'll meet you for a ride!

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Nice. Love the clouds.

·
Bike Dude
986 Posts
Way to go dave! Saint Pete is awesome! Looks like you're having a great time. I wonder how many people caught the image of the pirate in the second photo that goes with your moniker. Ride on you crazy pirate!

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
Temps are in the 90's but the wind really helps it feel cooler
The ride to Fort DeSoto is a good addition to your ride (if you haven't already). You'll have to pay the 25 cents for the toll bridges but the island is pretty much unspoiled--7 miles long with some of the best beaches in the contig. US.

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
SwiftSolo said:
The ride to Fort DeSoto is a good addition to your ride (if you haven't already). You'll have to pay the 25 cents for the toll bridges but the island is pretty much unspoiled--7 miles long with some of the best beaches in the contig. US.
+1 definitely worth checking out.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
The toll road to Ft. Desoto is FREE for bikes, just wave and say "Thanks" as you ride by the toll booth. If you want to go by bike follow the route you were on yesterday down to the Don Cesar (pink hotel in your pics), turn Left and head east. After you cross over one bridge, you get to the intersection for the road to Tierra Verde / Ft Desoto, take a right and head south to the end..... and there's Ft. Desoto. Great beaches, etc. for the family too.

I'll be doing a monthly Time Trial out there Thursday night starting at 6:30, so come have some fun. A couple of girls from 66 Fixed rode it last month and were great. They sure didn't need more than one gear.

Sorry about the rain today, it's the time of year we start seeing tropical weather.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Looks pretty nice- I never thought of Florida as being a place to go for cycling, but it seems you enjoyed yourself. Also, not as hot as I would expect if it was only in the 90s. What was that big pink building? County courthouse? Somebody`s consulate?

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Nice shots Dave,

I agree, the bike is the wrong color. I like St Pete but hate Tampa. Downtown St Pete has some nice character. I tried to ride near Tampa and vowed to never do it again. Flat roads with crazy drivers.

My parents used to live in Brandon. My stepfather wanted us to invest in real estate a few years ago but we had a bad feeling so we passed. I'm glad we did. My brother bought his house in Sarasota for 350k in 1999, the 'value' went up to 750k before the bust. I'm not sure what it's worth now. A lot of folks are hurting in that area. I'll take the nice slow value growth on my little split level in Virginia.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts