Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a pair if SIDI Genius 5.5 carbon shoes and they have a lower stack height than my Genius 4's. My question is, should I lower my saddle the appropriate number of mm's to compensate? I rode 25 miles in them yesterday and they are really comfortable, very stiff but not uncomfortably so. Overall it was a comfortable ride, but my left leg did feel as if I had to stretch just a little (got a little sore in my left-rear groin area in front of the sit-bone). Then again, I was hammering pretty hard and it may have been that and the fact that I haven't been able to ride two weeks due to rain here. They have great power transfer and the new straps and softer arch-strap system work great. And the color is extremely cool! Thanks in advance for all replies.

Mark
"Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt those of us doing it"

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
General rule is to lower your saddle to compensate for that change in stack height. It may not be perceptible over a ride or two, but over the long haul it may make some difference.

Silas

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
start with something small, like 3 mm, and see how it goes.

That's what a fitter suggested to me when i mentioned how i was going from carnac quartz w/look pedals to shimano r215s w/DA spd-sl pedals.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I went back and looked at the SIDI website and found the section that describes the lower stack height ( it's 3mm lower than the Millenium II sole). I've lowered my saddle 3mm and will ride it that way today. Sooooo my next question is; if I lower the saddle 3mm, do I also need to move the saddle back on the post a bit to compensate for the reduced height? Thanks again in advance for all replies.

Mark
"Riding IS mental health"

·
Does it matter?
751 Posts
I'd just lower the saddle and ride, change one thing at a time, but I figured out that you'd need to move the seat back 0.9 mm to compensate in the x-plane. Assuming a 73 deg seat angle and that you lowered the saddle 3mm along the y-plane . That's a tiny amount. Depending on your seat clamp, you'd probably have more trouble duplicating the saddle tilt. You'll notice an off saddle tilt more than that 0.9mm, believe me. Been there, done that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.