Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am hoping to calculate the Stack and Reach of my current bike, a Specialized Sworks E5 from 2003. I have long legs for my torso/height (6'1, 35.25" cycling inseam) and I am trying to identify a frame that may fit me a bit better. Currently I need to use an 80/90mm stem flipped over in order to not feel too stretched out on the bike. I'm not too bad at trig but I think there are some missing variables such as fork height/wheel+tire height that make it difficult. Can anyone tell me how to calculate the Stack and Reach (or anyone who has measured it for this particular model? I don't have the tools to measure it with any degree of accuracy and my "rough" measurement gives me numbers that seem odd to me) Here's the geometry:

Specialized 2003 Sworks E5 Geometry 58cm

Size 58
Stand Over Height 794
Seat Tube Length (center-to-top) 540
Top Tube Length (measured horizontally) 582
Head Tube Length 180
Head Angle 73.5
Seat Angle 73.0
Wheelbase 1003
Chainstay Length 407
Front Center 605
Fork Offset (Rake) 43

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Howdy - and welcome to the forums (me too, I guess - I mostly just lurk...)

I used the equations from this site to create a spreadsheet to compare frames based on stack and reach:

http://www.incidentalcyclist.com/2008/02/06/another-word-on-bike-fit/

I found some frames that fit well based on test rides, and used their geometries to compare frames I could not ride. When comparing frames based on published geometries, I've used 370mm to account for fork length/axle height. You'll also need to factor in headset stack (which I think is zero for your frame). I think the missing tidbit from your frame is the bottom bracket drop, which is a critical number. Based on a the current BB drop for a Tarmac/Allez (67.5mm for a 58cm frame), and a zero-stack headset, I have your stack at about 594.85mm and your reach at about 400.14mm. That's a pretty short stack and long reach compared to my ride (58cm Soma Smoothie, 613.5mm stack, 382.4mm reach), or a 58cm Spesh Roubaix at 628mm stack, 390mm reach.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I'd grab a tape measure and a level (if it is a short level, attach it to a broom stick). I'm not too familiar with measuring stack (I know it has to do with the head tube and ultimately the handle bar height). Reach is typically the length from the tip of the nose of your saddle to the center of your bars, level to the ground. String the tape measure between the saddle and stem and use the level to get the tape measure at the right angle to ensure it is even with the ground. That will give you the reach you currently have. Heck the same set-up can be used to get you bar drop as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts