Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which and why? Girlfriend seems hell bent on stackable. Side by side seems cheaper and if something goes wrong with one you don't have to ditch the whole unit. Vs space saving blah blah blah...

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,285 Posts
How tall are you two? How do you access the filters and valves? You're going to be hoisting a lot of stuff around, and jeans can be pretty heavy when they're wet. Something like a bed cover can be even heavier. In any case, check out both situations at an appliance store.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
stacked is great for small loads, small spaces, no kids.

but ... choose your battles.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
My biggest problem with stackable isn't related to them being stacked... I'm just not a fan of front-load washing machines. Never met one that doesn't eventually get funky unless you're willing to leave the door open between uses so it can completely dry inside.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,291 Posts
Which and why? Girlfriend seems hell bent on stackable. Side by side seems cheaper and if something goes wrong with one you don't have to ditch the whole unit. Vs space saving blah blah blah...
One unit stacked are generally smaller sized for apartment type spaces; they will fit in a closet space with ease.

There are stack kits for many separate units available, so you can stack full sized units. Pretty much any brand will allow this.

If one of you does most of the laundry, that person should decide what to get.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
You only do stackable when you don't have room for a side by side. Stackable tend to be a lot smaller. I guess if it's just you and one other person, a stackable might be OK, but I hate having to do a bunch of small loads. And I hate front end loading washers.

Just bought an Amana with a six cubic foot washer. Funny thing is that while it's almost twice the volume of my old washer, I can't put twice as many clothes in it or it takes 90 minutes to do them. These high efficiency washers and dryer are really slow. And none of the washers has an agitator anymore.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
In Europe, they have compact machines that wash AND dry in the same machine. :2: That sounds amazing, but I'm sure it's for much smaller loads, usually installed in the kitchen........don't know why I never see them here.

We have the LG combination, side-by-side. I dream about getting them elevated on pallet things with drawer/basket space underneath :arf:

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
In Europe, they have compact machines that wash AND dry in the same machine. :2: That sounds amazing, but I'm sure it's for much smaller loads, usually installed in the kitchen........don't know why I never see them here.
I have one of these machines, a Fagor FAS-3612, in my rental. The only good things about it are it doesn't require venting, and the lack of an agitator means it holds vastly more than a stackable. You don't see them here because it takes several hours to dry a load of clothes.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Those are sold in the US, people have them, and they aren't necessarily small.

Drop off service is where it's at for laundry. If times got really tough I'd probably give up heat and lights before I'd give that up.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I used one of those combo ventless washer/dryer machines when I was in Spain. Took forever to do a load. I think most folks just wash and then hang the clothes on a line to dry.

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
Our LG ventless washer/dryer combo unit has been fantastic fwiw. No issues. Maybe takes 20% longer to do a wash/dry together but I have the advantage to drop it all in in the AM and come home at night to done/dried laundry.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Our LG ventless washer/dryer combo unit has been fantastic fwiw. No issues. Maybe takes 20% longer to do a wash/dry together but I have the advantage to drop it all in in the AM and come home at night to done/dried laundry.
Who folds the cloths when it is done? or are they all wrinkled from sitting bunched up in the dryer?

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
Who folds the cloths when it is done? or are they all wrinkled from sitting bunched up in the dryer?
They're not wrinkled unless I overfill by a lot. Otherwise it has some sort of wrinkle free magic and cooldown. I pretty much throw in the laundry in the AM, leave for the day, come home and they're all washed/dried, done... *shrug* It's not for everyone but I really prefer it over our old setup which was one of those all in one units with dryer on top of washer.

·
Crusty AF
1,215 Posts
I have one of these machines, a Fagor FAS-3612, in my rental. The only good things about it are it doesn't require venting, and the lack of an agitator means it holds vastly more than a stackable. You don't see them here because it takes several hours to dry a load of clothes.
I used one of those combo ventless washer/dryer machines when I was in Spain. Took forever to do a load. I think most folks just wash and then hang the clothes on a line to dry.
Both of these. We used one in an apartment rental in Paris. Wash was fine, dry was virtually non-existent. Otherwise, I'd love one. The one we had was tiny as well, though that may be more to do with the local apartment market in Paris.

·
Boobies!
8,172 Posts
I'm a big fan of stackers--we have the full size Duets in a smallish laundry room, so stacking them leaves room for a counter, proper inset sink, cupboards above for supplies.

Funkiness is a little bit of a problem, but the occasional hot load with bleach seems to take care of it...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Think you need to define the term "stackable".

There are the old-fashioned combo units. These are pretty small.
Then front-loading units that are separate washer/dryers that can be installed side-by-side or stacked with the dryer on top. These are full-sized.

We did a remodel about 12 years ago that left us with a combined boiler / laundry room. We knew the only way to fit a washer/dryer in the new space was to get stackable units. We ended up getting a set of full-size Fridigdaire units. They saved a TON of room and we were able to put shelving next to them. These units are still going strong.

My inlaws also replaced their standard side-by-side units with a newer version of mine, and stacked them. They then installed cabinetry in the old space and gained a huge amount of storage.

Frankly with the amount of space saved by going stackable I would not want any other configuration.

View attachment 318861

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.