Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts
Compared to stage 9, I'll bet this stage will feel like racing in a 178km velodrome :eek: !

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
I need the rest day. This tour has been wild!

I am very sad Porte is out. Sad about Geraint, as well. I really saw the tour as being very interesting because of them, as well as a few others such as seeing Valverde in the tour yet again.

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts
I need the rest day. This tour has been wild!

I am very sad Porte is out. Sad about Geraint, as well. I really saw the tour as being very interesting because of them, as well as a few others such as seeing Valverde in the tour yet again.
And they've all crashed out :( .

Furthermore; Sagan was sent packing over something he didn't do.

Go figure.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And they've all crashed out :( .

Furthermore; Sagan was sent packing over something he didn't do.

Go figure.
Trying to get a handle on the full damages on the wreckage thread....

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Trying to get a handle on the full damages on the wreckage thread....
I wasn't paying attention when they were talking about the idea and execution for this years tour... is it just me, or is this the flattest TDF in the last 10 years? Why?

·
Registered
675 Posts
I wasn't paying attention when they were talking about the idea and execution for this years tour... is it just me, or is this the flattest TDF in the last 10 years? Why?
Well, lots of France is flat and the regions all want their share of the publicity but I get the same impression. I don't know if it is the flattest for years but the live coverage from the start makes it seem that way (but not on Stages 8 & 9)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I wonder if its the Tour trying to make the race more exciting since the last several have been kind of boring with Sky controlling everything. A flatter overall profile can limit the "Skybots" advantage on stages with lots of climbing. BMC kind of hosed this though on Stage 5.
A flatter overall profile also gets the most popular cyclists in the fray more often (Sagan, Van Ameraet, etc...). This was hosed with the disqualification of Sagan.

I can't help but think that this Tour would have been all up in Nibali or Dumoulin wheelhouse. Would have made for a great tour.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Well, lots of France is flat and the regions all want their share of the publicity but I get the same impression. I don't know if it is the flattest for years but the live coverage from the start makes it seem that way (but not on Stages 8 & 9)
Funny you should say this.. I'm going to Poland and will be there for the Tour de Pologne... that tour is ALL clustered in the mountains. I'm talking every single stage is happening in one of twenty quadrants if you took the map out. THere, people are complaining that it's the tour of Poland and not tour of one 150 square mile section of Poland.

·
Still waiting......
1,321 Posts
2012 (where the organizers custom designed the route for wiggins) was pretty flat

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
I wonder if its the Tour trying to make the race more exciting since the last several have been kind of boring with Sky controlling everything. A flatter overall profile can limit the "Skybots" advantage on stages with lots of climbing. BMC kind of hosed this though on Stage 5.
A flatter overall profile also gets the most popular cyclists in the fray more often (Sagan, Van Ameraet, etc...). This was hosed with the disqualification of Sagan.

I can't help but think that this Tour would have been all up in Nibali or Dumoulin wheelhouse. Would have made for a great tour.
I think this is the correct answer. I think they are trying to make it more exciting for fans. I am sure they hear the criticism about Team Sky winning every year and how boring watching that happen is for many of us. I am also sure the Hammer Series gave conventional races something to think about as well. They are trying, but.....

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I think they were trying to give a few more GC riders more realistic shots at winning this year instead of what we've had the last few years. This year's route was perfect for riders like Valverde, Martin, and Bardet. From the hospital Valverde said he would have won stage 5 and it is highly likely he would have also won stage 9. No one in the GC can outsprint him and he's one of the best descenders of all the GC riders. I think that was their goal. Just not exactly playing out the way they had hoped.

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
I could, but really don't second guess the route planners.
They cannot make all of us happy. If there are mountains or cobbles early, we get upset because the cream rises to the top earlier.

If it is flat early on, we get upset about it being boring.

Like LA, Sky / Wiggins / Froome target this one race with one leader for one year. It is almost always only one team who has the luxury to do that. So, of course, that team will be favored.

So, to think about it, one way to boost the interest in the face of this monopoly set-up wold be to require any potential team to have "qualified" somehow in other races in the 11 months before July - somehow making it so no team can be entirely devoted to TdF.

If that dropped the number of teams/riders, so be it. 200 is a lot of riders.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
I could, but really don't second guess the route planners.
They cannot make all of us happy. If there are mountains or cobbles early, we get upset because the cream rises to the top earlier.

If it is flat early on, we get upset about it being boring.

Like LA, Sky / Wiggins / Froome target this one race with one leader for one year. It is almost always only one team who has the luxury to do that. So, of course, that team will be favored.

So, to think about it, one way to boost the interest in the face of this monopoly set-up wold be to require any potential team to have "qualified" somehow in other races in the 11 months before July - somehow making it so no team can be entirely devoted to TdF.

If that dropped the number of teams/riders, so be it. 200 is a lot of riders.
given that sky is #5 on UCI ranking then that would not change much. Of course they did manage as well this year to win a monument and Paris-Nice.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
It doesn't help that Movistar lost Valverde in the TT. That basically lost any hope they had of doing anything in this race as it's become very evident that Valverde is not just their team leader, but also the heart and soul and apparently brains of that team. They are completely lost without him. I had hoped once he was back home you'd see the team start getting it's head back together but we haven't. They have basically disappeared just like they did when he was serving his doping ban.

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts
Nice club ride so far.....

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts
Very impressive sprint finish by Kittel.

Looked like the Manx Missile of old.

·
Registered
169 Posts
How is Bouhanni still in the Tour? Seriously a traffic ticket and a 1 minute GC penalty for a sprinter for intentionally swinging at 2 riders??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts
How is Bouhanni still in the Tour? Seriously a traffic ticket and a 1 minute GC penalty for a sprinter for intentionally swinging at 2 riders??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Excellent question indeed :mad2: .

Arguably the most popular rider gets kicked out, I'll say, for not crashing despite being sideswiped by the Manx Missile.

While, as you mentioned, Boneheadanni stays in despite deliberate violent acts against fellow riders.

Go-frickin'-figure.....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts