Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That was some exciting racing from the breakaway group. Lampre was totally ineffective at closing the gap to the leading group and then Cunego couldn't do anything up the final climb anyway, total waste of energy today.

Only team that sucked worse than Lampre was Quick-step which left Bettini on his own in what was an ideally suited stage for him. I wonder if it's a case of letting him fend for himself now since he seems to be on the way out?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
Lampre was totally ineffective at closing the gap to the leading group and then Cunego couldn't do anything up the final climb anyway, total waste of energy today.
You totally read my mind! What the hell was Lampre doing at the end??? They had about three guys leading Cunego up the final hill and then it seems that they just got gassed. Then having lost his train Cunego tries to sprint out of the main group and it seemed like he blew up then tucked in behind Basso and the other heads of state so as to not get any time gaps. The weird thing is that this is a stage that is very suited to Cunego and similar in profile to the many one-day races he was winning earlier in the year. Something tells me -- based on Cunego's performance today and his loss of explosiveness shortly after he attacked Basso on Sunday -- that Cunego might not have the legs he had the last couple of months.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fornaca68 said:
that Cunego might not have the legs he had the last couple of months.
Yeah he's looking a bit overdone at this point and it doesn't get hard until next week. Bettini sprinted away from the field with ease (although you have to wonder how many were giving it a full go). Somebody like Baguet should have been there to help or maybe they were just waiting for the finale to contribute to the chase but with 20km to go or so I think it became fairly obvious the break was going to survive, so QS just never contributed?

Pellizotti got the stage win and did his GC standings a world of good today to boot!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
AJL said:
Bummer for Merckx, getting caught 150m from the finish - man that must suck!
Heartbreaking. He deserves a big win like that. He is one of the few truly aggressive riders anymore. I was bummed. He sure lasted longer than I thought he would in that last K. I thought they'd get him with 600 to go.

·
Former Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
That was some exciting racing from the breakaway group. Lampre was totally ineffective at closing the gap to the leading group and then Cunego couldn't do anything up the final climb anyway, total waste of energy today.

Only team that sucked worse than Lampre was Quick-step which left Bettini on his own in what was an ideally suited stage for him. I wonder if it's a case of letting him fend for himself now since he seems to be on the way out?
Yeah, Lampre rider crashed in front of the peleton too. WTF? Trying to bring the whole group down?

On live broadcast, they thought, Cunego was going for the win. It's now apparent that they were protecting Cunego's 3rd place from Pelizotti. Not bad intentions but weak execution.

francois

·
Registered
13 Posts
Does anyone know what Julich is doing? Usually he is right next to Basso but he is 18 minutes down today, three minutes yesterday, and about twenty down on the other prior two stages. Is he saving up for the time trial on thursday, CSC trying to save him for the last week, or is he sick. It just strikes me strange that a rider who generally finishes in the top twenty for the tour, discluding 1998, and has been such a good worker for Basso in the last two tours is at the back of the pack. Helping Basso is the reason he is there?

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
godspeed said:
Does anyone know what Julich is doing?
I seem to recall him blaiming his several year's of lacklustre performances on bad allergies and with the pollen in Italy this year....

But you would presume he's had them addressed and doesn't suffer too bad from these allergies anymore? Maybe just not in form, or sick, I'm sure someone will ask him soon enough and it will be on one of the websites.

·
Former Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
godspeed said:
Does anyone know what Julich is doing? Usually he is right next to Basso but he is 18 minutes down today, three minutes yesterday, and about twenty down on the other prior two stages. Is he saving up for the time trial on thursday, CSC trying to save him for the last week, or is he sick. It just strikes me strange that a rider who generally finishes in the top twenty for the tour, discluding 1998, and has been such a good worker for Basso in the last two tours is at the back of the pack. Helping Basso is the reason he is there?
I've opened a new thread on this. I've been watching him for a while and he is just not his old self it seems.

fc

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
well unfortunately

most allergy meds have banned substances. Bobby had a slow early season so he can peak for Ivan this Giro and Tour. Maybe his peak is set for a bit later. Bobby clearly said he was forgoing any personal ambitions to get Ivan the victory (ies). He said he didn't need to prove himself with more palmares, he just wants to help somebody win the big one.

·
Registered
200 Posts
ideal breakaway terrain

I've spent many months cycling the roads of the Gargano peninsula where stage 10's final 80K were played out and the reason Lampre had a hard time closing down the breakaway is that the terrain is so twisty that its very difficult to close a gap. The extra horsepower of the peleton just doesn't have as much of an advantage as it normally would. When I say that the Gargano peninsula's roads are twisty.....I mean they are TWISTY. Same reasons that Axel Merckx was able to stay away from the breakaway group as long as he did.

The U.S. Air Force had a radar control site in the Foresta Umbra all through the 1990s to help control the UN/NATO no-fly-zone over Bosnia (just accross the Adriatic Sea from there). For 4.5 years, I spent about 5 months per year down there and it is the best cycling area I've ever been in....and I've been in some good ones. My work schedule was 3 days on followed by 3 days off. On my off days I would disappear into the remote roads down there for hours upon hours. Loved every minute of it. Looking for a great cycling vacation? Make your way to the Gargano peninsula. Great beaches, seafood, and astoundingly good cycling.

I greatly enjoyed watching the stage not only because of the exciting racing, but because know every inch of the route like the back of my hand.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
fouadaswad said:
So CSC reeled in the first breakaway attemps, but let the las t one go. is it becuase they thought the breakaway did not include riders who could threaten Basso's GC?? or is there some other reason?
Probably. Getting in a breakaway isn't as easy as it might seem. Breakaways almost always are "allowed" to get free because they have the right combination of riders.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Breakaway and another Q?

Dwayne Barry said:
Probably. Getting in a breakaway isn't as easy as it might seem. Breakaways almost always are "allowed" to get free because they have the right combination of riders.
Thanks. So in general what could be a some right combinations of riders for a breakaway, apart from a group of hopeless riders when it comes to the GC?

And, now with two riders (Di Juca and Pelozzi, good climbers?) within 2+ minutes from the Pink Jersey, does Liquigas hasa tactical edge to challenge for theGC? what tactics would Liquigas be looking at at this point?

thanks all

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.