Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,954 Posts
Now that is some good old fashioned "racing into form" from Jan! Looks like July is going to be pretty interesting if he can drop 2 more kilos before July -- hell, given the rest of this week, he might drop those kilos before the end of the Giro. Question is, will he keep them off? Will his knee hold up? Will we have a royal German-Italian smackdown in France?

Oh, and props to Jens... a racer's racer!!

A+

Philippe

·
Registered
52 Posts
For TdF, can Jan improve climbing as much as Basso has improved ITT?

To me, today's second place finish by Ivan is more telling than Jan's win. Sure Jan looked really strong here but Basso is much improved in the ITT this year. I know there aren't many hill top finishes in this year's course but I think Basso has worked on his ITT to a point where he may have the overall advantage still! Even with an in shape Jan.

The final factor, Team CSC. The guys can just jam through the course and the T-Mob boys never seem to have their act together.

But I get ahead of myself, this stage and the Giro thus far are meeting every expectation.

·
Former Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
for reference:

Stage 11 - Thursday, May 18: Pontedera - Pontedera ITT, 50 km

Results

1 Jan Ullrich (Ger) T-Mobile 58.48
2 Ivan Basso (Ita) CSC 0.27
3 Marco Pinotti (Ita) Saunier Duval-Prodir 1.01
4 Serguei Gonchar (Ukr) T-Mobile 1.09
5 Paolo Savoldelli (Ita) Discovery Channel 1.19
6 Jose E. Gutierrez (Spa) Phonak 1.42
7 Jens Voigt (Ger) Team CSC 2.12
8 Gustav Erik Larsson (Swe) Française des Jeux 2.22
9 Dario David Cioni (Ita) Liquigas 2.24
10 Viatcheslav Ekimov (Rus) Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team 2.27
11 Tom Danielson (USA) Discovery Channel 2.35
12 Stef Clement (Ned) Bouygues Telecom 2.40

General classification after stage 11

1 Ivan Basso (Ita) Team CSC 40.28.56
2 José E. Gutierrez Cataluna (Spa) Phonak Hearing Systems 2.48
3 Serguei Gonchar (Ukr) T-Mobile Team 3.24
4 Paolo Savoldelli (Ita) Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team 3.26
5 Tom Danielson (USA) Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team 5.38
6 Franco Pellizotti (Ita) Liquigas 6.37
7 Victor Hugo Pena Grisales (Col) Phonak Hearing Systems 6.54
8 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre-Fondital
9 Gilberto Simoni (Ita) Saunier Duval-Prodir 7.13
10 Danilo Di Luca (Ita) Liquigas 7.33
14 José Rujano Guillen (Ven) Selle Italia-Serramenti Diquigiovanni 9.19</pre>

G

·
Well, it now seems that it is Basso's race to lose - only if he gets sick or injured. And Jan's win shows he will likely be in good form for the TdF (which I think will be more hotly contested than this Giro).

I'm hearing now that Ulle may drop out b/4 the end of the Giro (to do the TdS?). It would be nice to see Jan contest a mtn top finish b/4 he leaves, IMO.

G

·
Well Jan wasn't just *training* today. He wanted to proved that his form was coming along better than the naysayers thought - and he did just that.

·
Registered
156 Posts
carlos said:
im still waitting for any of the experts here that are saying ullirich is over weight to show the evidences.

back on topic, a great victory for jan ullrich, hes only training anyway...:14:
Pretty scary that Jan can win this TT during training, or not on form, or everyone's favorite, cuz he's overweight. Der Kaiser is Da Man of the day. Basso however, is Da Man of the Giro.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
carlos said:
im still waitting for any of the experts here that are saying ullirich is over weight to show the evidences.

back on topic, a great victory for jan ullrich, hes only training anyway... :14:
How about this. As evidenced by the TT his power is clearly one of the best in the Giro yet he had to dig pretty deep to stay with the front group (which was rather large) on the first hilly day and even said he wouldn't do that again. How about his poor result in the prologue which was mostly a hill climb? We know when his power/weight is on he's a very good climber. Overweight is all relative. I would put him somewhere between 3-5 kg over his Tour weight.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Some random obervations after 11 stages:

1.The organizers of the Giro have killed the suspense going into the mountains by putting a short ITT, a long TTT and a long ITT before the heavy-duty mountains. Basso looks invincible right now and the Giro has only warmed up; instead, it's a race for second place. Basso is not going to crash, and he's not going to get Montezuma's Revenge. In the 2005 Giro there was a one-kilometer prologue resulting in negligible time losses, then one long ITT (that Dave Z won) before the big mountains began. So there was some suspense going into the stage to Zoldo Alto last year among DiLuca, Savoldelli, Simoni and Basso when Basso finally took the MR.

2. Tactically, Discovery is in an interesting position in that Savoldelli and Danielson are in the four and five positions on GC and can launch attacks at Basso to "isolate" him, but something tells me that will be futile.

·
Registered
156 Posts
carlos said:
thats my point: how do you know his overweight?
Don't know...but those commentators on cycling.tv keep saying the same thing..."if Jan can lose 2 more kilos, he would be in great form". So apparently, perception is what people use as fact when gauging Jan's form. I like to use results for that...like today when he put the hurt on everyone in the TT. :cool:

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
A4B45200 said:
Pretty scary that Jan can win this TT during training, or not on form, or everyone's favorite, cuz he's overweight. Der Kaiser is Da Man of the day. Basso however, is Da Man of the Giro.
In a flat TT weight is largely inconsequential, but matters when you go uphill which probably explains why he performed relatively poorly in the initial TT but well in the TTT and todays TT and by his own admission had to dig deep to hold the large front group the first hard day in the hills.

·
Former Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The ITT today is very telling for the upcoming Tour day France. There are two ITTs at TDF and they're a little bit longer. Today was 50k, pancake flat. TDF has 52k and 56k. Flat as well I believe.

Pure climbers will be in absolute misery. Cunego, Di Luca and Rujano basically lost any chance at this tour. They haven't trained enough for the this kind of ITT. They were uncomfortable and wanted to change position all the time. Their legs and back were burning and they wanted some sort of climb!!

Basso is good. I believe he will lose up to 1 minute to Jan in each one of the ITTs. Not bad since he can contest the time lost in the mountains.

Floyd will do very well in the long flat ITTs of the TDF. Valverde is at great risk of botching the Tour ITTs. Sure he did well in the Romandie prologue but that was short, full of corners and not on an ITT bike. He better be ITT training right now.

francois

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.