Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
wheel to wheel
2,236 Posts
He'll be going all out to take time especially out of Basso.
Descending is not Basso's skill, although apparently Riis had him doing a lot of specific training this winter.

There are still several descents on this Giro where Il Falco could make a difference, and he's very deliberate: I'm sure he knows exactly when he will make all his breaks.

I think tomorrow Savoldelli will go, and Cunego will try to go with him.

·
Do not touch the trim.
2,383 Posts
nwilkes said:
Looks like a 6.5K descent following 10K of real steep climbing. Is this enough distance for him to make up some time on the other contenders (besides Basso)? Just curious.
With 10k at 9% on the climb Salvoldelli will need those descending skills to catch back onto Basso, Rujano and Cunego after they drop everyone.

·
Banned
608 Posts
CabDoctor said:
Don't forget Tommy D. will be there as well. He'll probably get dropped on the descent, he's a sketchy bike handler. But he can help pace Salvoldelli before the big descent.
Yup. When the climb starts and Tommy D. is dropped by the real climbers, maybe he can eventually catch up to Savoldelli after Il Falco cracks and pace him to he summit.

G

·
Under ACrookedSky said:
Yup. When the climb starts and Tommy D. is dropped by the real climbers, maybe he can eventually catch up to Savoldelli after Il Falco cracks and pace him to he summit.

From reading what Savoldelli had to say about TD and TD's own comments - it's not the climbs that are the problem, it's poor peleton placing and other errors b/4 the climb where he wastes too much energy. I believe he is a true climber, but so far he's just and ok stage racer. He's been hyped so much, that everyone is expecting much more from him, IMHO.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
cadence90 said:
There are still several descents on this Giro where Il Falco could make a difference, and he's very deliberate: I'm sure he knows exactly when he will make all his breaks.
There's tomorrow's descent after the Passo del Sempione where Salvodelli has a chance to win back some time, after that it's all uphill finishes and frankly I don't believe for a minute that he can make any difference in descents that won't be annulled straightaway on the next alpine climb.

G

·
CSC, particularly Ivan and Sastre are driving the temp real high b/4 the climbs, and it's just killing everyone. Savoldelli can only limit his losses atm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.